Non duplex GFI 'outlet'.

Someone has mentioned that there is device that is a GFCI and has the 'test' and 'reset' buttons, but does not have any ability to be a plug in duplex outlet.

A typical cost of around $5 was mentioned?

Fact? Info welcomed.

Reply to
terry

The only questionable part is the $5. They are called "dead fronts" and $8-12 may be a better number.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks for the fast reply. Maybe my informant is wrong about the $5! Or perhaps it was a one day loss-leader sale item? "Dead-fronts' description appreciated. Cheers. terry

Reply to
terry

*They are switch rated so they can be used as on/off switches. I call them GFI switches. Any electrical supply will have them. I'm not sure about hardware stores.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I have seen a wide variety of these at the HD big box, but why not have an extra outlet?

Reply to
hrhofmann

They are usually used where you don't want the GFCI exposed to the weather but you want the circuit to be dedicated. Pool pumps, pool lights and boat lifts are common uses.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have seen a wide variety of these at the HD big box, but why not have an extra outlet?

*I recently installed two on dedicated circuits for a hydromassage bathtub. I suggested and the customer agreed that having the GFI's over the vanity instead of under the tub made it is easier to reset them if they ever tripped instead of having to open up the access panel. I put them in the same box as the GFI bathroom receptacle.
Reply to
John Grabowski