Non-detergent kerosene

It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution of this. Just some in some warm water. The guy swears by it. Is this what they have at HD? Any difference between non-detergent and the other types?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'd be reluctant to wipe kerosene on my windows. [I don't know what 'non-detergent' kero is- maybe it overcomes the smell, dust-attractant, non-emulsifying, and flammability problems of the kero I'm familiar with]

My weapon of choice for the worst of windows is 1/4 cup of ammonia in a bucket of water- and the print section of a newspaper wadded up into a ball for wipes.

Once they are clean I maintain them with a squeegee & windex.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I don't know about the detergent, but some of the kerosene has dye in it. This is so the highway department can tell if it is being used on the highway. Diesel fuel is the same way. Dyed for home use and undyed for use on the road (road tax paid) if I remember correctly. If a truck gets caught with the wrong kind of fuel (read as no road tax payed) on the road they get a big fine.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

on 12/3/2009 10:25 AM (ET) Steve B wrote the following:

My father said they used a diluted kerosene mixture to wash their cars back in the 20s and 30s and then wiped off the haze with a cloth towel. I tried it once and it worked pretty well. I thought the oil might help prevent rust, especially around the small holes in the body that held the chrome trim on, but apparently not many people washed their cars with kerosene since they all rusted away. ;-)

Reply to
willshak

I think it is not kerosene. I would think kero would not mix well with water. Perhaps you are speaking of ammonia? If so, yes.

Reply to
Thomas

My son, the farmer, says that government agents regularly visit farm sales around here and dip a probe into diesel truck fuel tanks in the parking area looking for dyed fuel. He agrees..hefty fine if caught. If you use the same bulk tank for both your road truck and tractors, there is a place on your tax return to claim the road tax credit for un-dyed fuel used in tractors for off road use.

Tom G.>

Reply to
Tom G

I add some vinegar to my ammoniated water solution (which I mix up a little stronger than I probably need to). Windows turn out crystal clear.

Also do the newspaper trick.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Locking gas caps, anyone?

Reply to
Bob F

I swear by sudsy ammonia from the 99 cent store (half gallon), hot water and micro-fiber cloth. One time I walked right into my patio door when the house was vacant .

Kero, last year at HD was $35.00 (?) for five gallon can. If the window is vinyl clad I would avoid the kerosene.

Reply to
Oren

We have ag water here, which is crick water run through pipes and pressure added. It gets the windows skuygy. We tried everything to clean them down to razor scrapers. No go. Down to desperate mode. Will try ammonia trick.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Utah law is like that. As long as it is an unlicensed farm instrument of husbandry (sounds kinda like a man vibrator) you can use cheaper fuel.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve B wrote: ...

If it's hard leaving lime deposits, etc., then stronger acidic solutions will help more than ammonia, probably. If it's not mineral but biotic, the ammonia will likely be a help.

--

Reply to
dpb

Steve B wrote: ...

Actually, it's Federal law on federal the excise tax...

Reply to
dpb

They can take samples out of your fuel tank without permission and/or a warrant?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

What's the difference between the $7/gallon kero at HD and the $3/gallon (K1) at a gas station?

Reply to
Tony

I can clean winders cheaper with sudsy ammonia?

Reply to
Oren

Why this suggestion? Do you have tar on your windows? The best cleaner for glass is household ammonia.

Reply to
Phisherman

So, if you're mad at a trucker, pour some red dye into his fuel tank.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

For really nasty windows I use Parson's ammonia mixed per the bottle directions to several time that if needed. Never heard of using kerosene to clean windows. Full stength this stuff will degrease an engine block.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE