non-combustible wood for mantle?

The tile surround does not extend far enough to build a mantle in compliance with required clearances for combustible materials. IE. 35 inches from hearth to top of tile, when the minimum allowed to this wood insert stove is 49 inches.

I am wondering if there is a product that can be used to build a mantle with the appearance of wood that is non-combustible?

Any ideas?

Reply to
Gerald.Danais

faux finish on masonry

Reply to
beecrofter

Without knowing how rich you are, I could recommend a custom marble or granite thing. Matter of fact, I just did! :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think the q. is. Why would anyone want a fire-place? they waste energy like nothing else. any heated air goes up the chimney. You want an insert . good luck!

Reply to
Karma Ghia

They look nice & smell good. I only use mine on not-so-cold days. It makes the room warm, but sucks the heat right out of the rest of the house. It's an occasional treat.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I agree, it's actually an insert. jotul c450 tamarack

Reply to
Gerald.Danais

Cement or plaster and a really good paint job, with stove paint.

Reply to
Goedjn