Non Combustible Wall?

Hello,

I have a woodstove installed in my basement (concrete block & poured floor). It's located about 6" from the block wall, so there are no concerns about heat. Single wall pipe to basement ceiling, then transition box to double wall 2100f chimney up through a chase in living room, then up out the roof. (ranch house)) All up to code.

Wanting to finish the basement cheaply, yet safely. No water through the wall, even when testing with piece of foil taped to wall for a few days. Considering thorough seal on wall, then 10mil plastic stapled to rim joist, then hat channel (maybe 1") anchored to wall, then 1" fiberglass or foam insul between hats, then durarock or wonderboard attached to hat. I would just skip the insul, but block wall tends to be cold to touch. I know I'll get some insulating value from just the

1" space, but I'd like to do better. I live in NW Pennsylvania near lake Erie. Any thoughts on the foam insul getting to warm behind the WBd? Maybe use fiberglass but what about paper barrier? Last two winters, block barely got above room temp (I think the cold leaches any heat into the soil.)

Sorry for the wordy stuff, Ted

Reply to
Ted

I second this. How about a section of brick veneer behind the stove? Make it look like this is the way you planned it. As we engineers say, "If you can't fix it, feature it."

Reply to
Wes Stewart

To do it right, buy a couple of elbows and pull the stove out from the wall. With 6", any foam insulation will not be to code. It is considered a non-flammable in that it has been treated with a fire retardant, but it should not be exposed to excess heat anyway and must be covered with sheetrock.

Alternatively, leave the section right behind the stove as is and do the rest of the wall. It is a good idea to do the rest of the wall the way you describe though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski