Non-combustible Vegetation near a Water Tank?

The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation near a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge or 2.
Thank you,
Scott<-

Where you are might affect recommendations.
Bob
We are about 60 Miles North of San Francisco, Sonoma County.
Burying it would cause Access issues with the Connections to the tank. The 5000 gallon tank would be quite a hole in the ground too. (-;
They want a 20' setback from the combustible Vegetation, so unless the tree is Tall and no low Branches, they don't want it near the tank. So my Maple is either got to go, or I need to find another location.
PG&E made me take out one of our Oaks already. I want to save as many trees as I can!
Thanks!

Scott Townsend wrote:

I have no suggestions to offer. But can anyone explain why it must be non-combustible near a _water_ tank? Gasoline, oil, or other fuel tanks, sure. But water?
Or is this a water tank that is specifically meant to be used to put out fires?
kevin wrote:

Ok, I see your other post. But still -- a water tank connected to hydrants 20' and 250' away isn't going to be threatened by some burning shrubbery, is it? Or maybe it is plastic.
Dig a hole and bury the f'er. Then you don't have to worry about flammable vegetation.

Just about all living plants are combustible but many Fake plants are not. Maybe you can get one from Hollywood. Even a well watered plant can combust in a very hot fire. While a few burning shrubs may not harm the tank, it will prevent access to anyone wanting to fill or draw water or access a valve during a fire.
Does the rule also exclude combustible structures such as one made of wood. An arbor might spruce up the look.
BTW, does anyone know the precise difference between a Combustible and a Flammable substance?
Scott Townsend wrote:

"non-combustible vegetation" from the Fire Standards. Don't have a clue what vegetation would not burn.
That said, I would plant a fast growing vine that will climb a trellis or wire fence. It would take about 2 years to fully hide the tank and then you would need to trim it once or twice each season.
Scott Townsend wrote:

In my mind, this means that you are only allowed to plant grass. It would have to be mowed which makes it non-combustible. Better to bury it if possible.
Scott Townsend wrote:

with the fire marshal for recommendations.