Non-auto circuit breaker

Page 1 of 2

Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. Now that I have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device, but just a switch that fits into a breaker box. Oops.
Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on" when I jiggle the stab connectors). Fortunately it wasn't that much money.
Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by current NEC?
Thanks,
Jon

They're used for disconnects. Often for AC condensers

If it's intermittent, I'd take it back. You have to remove it anyhow to put in what you want.

Does that mean the breakers next to my outside AC unit will never trip unless I trip them by hand!

If they're circuit breakers they can trip, if they're just switches that look like circuit breakers, they won't. The switches usually have a sticker on them that says something like "no overcurrent protection"

I didn't see a sticker. I'll go look again for whatever there is. Thanks.
mm wrote:

You don't need a circuit breaker next to your AC condenser. The circuit breaker is at the panel.
--
bud--

You can't say that arbitrarily. Majority of the time you don't need one. But there are various wiring solutions and I have seen breakers at the ac units. We have a number of houses on my street with a "main" panel at the ac units and the panel most of us consider a main installed as a sub elsewhere.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:00:53 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

Thanks. Yes. Regardless of whether I need one or not, regardless of what I have, I want to know what I actually have. It might come in handy some day. It's always good to know what the facts are.

You can't say that arbitrarily. Majority of the time you don't need one. But there are various wiring solutions and I have seen breakers at the ac units. We have a number of houses on my street with a "main" panel at the ac units and the panel most of us consider a main installed as a sub elsewhere.
If there is just a single device in the box, for the one condenser only, there is no need for it to be a circuit breaker. If you have a panel or sub panel at or near the location of the condenser, usually feeding more than just the one condenser, it would most definitely need to be a circuit breaker.
RBM wrote:

Ah, gotcha, thanks.
Jon
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:37:53 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

That'll teach you about buying stuff from ebay. Never ever buy anything electrical from ebay. Buying books on ebay is about the only thing that's relatively safe. Better yet, block ebay in your browser. I did.
Now call and email that seller about 20 times a day to piss him off, do this for a week, then give the worst feedback you can.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:36:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Ebay. I missed that.

Nothing wrong with ebay. I get tons of good deals off ebay. Just about everything can be researched with a few google searches. Or ask the seller. There are bargains on ebay and there is junk on ebay. You need to make sure you know what you are buying.

Same here. I've done over a 100 transactions on Ebay and only had one bad experience. On all the rest I got excellent deals and saved a ton of money. And I've sold items with no problem that I would never have been able to sell without Ebay. You just have to use due diligence, which includes looking at how many transactions the seller has done, their feedback rating, and carefully read the description of what you are buying.
In fact, when looking for something, I often go to Ebay first, because it can be easier to find the item there and get better descriptions of it quickly, etc.

Same here. I've done over a 100 transactions on Ebay and only had one bad experience. On all the rest I got excellent deals and saved a ton of money. And I've sold items with no problem that I would never have been able to sell without Ebay. You just have to use due diligence, which includes looking at how many transactions the seller has done, their feedback rating, and carefully read the description of what you are buying.
In fact, when looking for something, I often go to Ebay first, because it can be easier to find the item there and get better descriptions of it quickly, etc.
I too, love buying stuff on Ebay. I even sold a thirty year old tractor and got way more that it was worth, at least to me. But, one thing I found out first hand, if things go horribly wrong, Ebay sucks. I don't care if you're the buyer or the seller, they're worthless. Their "buyer protection" is just a total farce. You're on your own.

Sure, because the sellers were willing to work with you. What you got didn't come from Ebay. The "buyer protection" says something like:
If you buy a book and they send nothing, you'll get your money back If you buy a book, and they send you a crappy book, you're SOL If you buy a book and they send you a doll, you are guaranteed price paid plus original shipping, once you send the doll back. Why should you have to pay for return shipping for the sellers mistake?
Then when you amplify this non protection system, you get a scenario like one I had: Through Ebay, I asked a seller if an implement would fit my skid steer. His reply, "yes it will". (Note: these are new, the seller is a fabricator) I buy the implement , pay for it plus shipping $420. I receive it, and it's not even close to the mount of my machine. I contact him, through Ebay to correct the situation and I'm ignored. I file with Ebay through "buyer protection system". Seller contacts me, offers to pick up implement and refund me or pick up implement and deliver one that fits my machine. I choose getting an implement that fits my machine. Seller neither picks up or delivers promised implement as offered. I go to stage 2 through "Ebay buyer protection", and half an hour later they email me. They've reviewed my claim and rule in my favor. Just send the item back to the seller, and I'll get my $420 back. After about an hour I finally got a human from Ebay on the phone to explain that shipping a 500 pound implement 1000 miles will cost me $400, and to explain to me,why there is no burden on the seller to pay for his mistake. Totally fruitless effort, I may as well been talking to a rock. "That's our policy", and stop yelling at me or I'll disconnect.

Seems like the real issue here is the shipping cost, which is a valid point. You are pretty much always out the shipping, probably both ways if they seller sends you something. And that's why I avoid sellers that have shipping costs that are way high and totally out of line. Not only does it mean you would be out the shipping, but it points to the seller being dishonest. I believe charging higher than true shipping costs is against ebay policy, but I don't see them doing anything to enforce it. You can find loads of sellers where the item is $2, small and the shipping is $8. The seller is making most of their money in that case off the shipping.
Most times the shipping isn't a big issue, but with a 500lb widget, it is.
On the other hand, I have had problems where the seller refunded not only the item cost, but also the shipping. Case in point, I bought a used tire for my Porsche from a guy that shipped it from TX to NJ. Upon mounting, it had a leak. He refunded the cost plus shipping and told me to keep the tire. I later got another one and it was fine.
On Jul 28, 9:38am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Part if that is because ebay charges a percentage of the sale price but nothing out of the shipping. So if you sell an item for 2 with 8 shipping and it really costs you 2 to ship you don't have to pay ebay a percentage of the 6 you made. Since shipping is really shipping AND handling ebay has a hard time proving one way or another that you don't have 6 in "handling" costs. If you buy in bulk isn't all the costs of inventory, preparing orders, etc handling? Some poeple say it is. They can only enforce the rule when it is blatantly obvious like 10 for a diamond ring, 200 for shipping.

[...]
Truth is, most of the folks I've dealt with are just like your tire guy, they really have every intention to do the right thing. I even think, in my case, the seller wanted to do the right thing, but it would have cost him too much so he just blew me off.
Now the good part, and the moral of the story. Couple of weeks after this incident, I'm getting tired of looking at this 5 foot bucket in my driveway, so I figure I'll try to sell it on Craigslist, then this notion pops into my head. I paid for this thing through Paypal, using my Visa card. I wonder if I have any protection through Visa. Sure enough, Visa has a whole pile of "chargeback codes". Google Visa chargeback code 53. All I needed was documentation that the item wasn't as described, which I have through Ebay questions and answers from seller, and within 10 days, $420 went back into my account. The only recourse the seller has is to refute, in writing, every point that I've made, which in this case, they can't. Paypal, like Ebay is a toothless dog. They sort of pretend to try to help the seller out in having the chargeback reversed, but they have no power, or authority, and within a week, they dismissed it altogether.
Because I am honest, I contacted the seller and offered to have him re-list the bucket and have it shipped to the winner from my address, but I never heard from him again. So, buy with a Visa, and always get documentation on what you're buying
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 04:57:51 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

I should have said: What I meant was that when I said to return it, I had missed that it was ebay. It's more effort and money to return something to ebay than to a store that's in town.

I buy from Ebay too. Maybe the only non-starter was a phone machine that didn't switch from playing to recording**, but the vendor didn't claim to have tested that. And that was just what was wrong with the machine I bought new 15 or 18 years earlier.
**Even though they both would record when I pressed the Memo or the other button, that directly called for recording. He would actually have to hook it to a phone line, call and leave a message to test that, and he didn't bother and didn't say he had.
And there was the transaction that Paypal messed up, refusing to pay because I was out of the country shipping it to myself, out of the country where I live, the US. And they didn't bother to email me to tell me they cancelled the payment (after the screen said it was paid.) but the vendor's product probably wasn't bad. I never got it.