Noisy sump pump check valve

my setup has a pipe raising from the pump to just out of the pit. the check valve is mounted there. So I can easily change the valve by unplugging the pump for a while. But I think this adds to the noise since this length of pipe will always be empty when the pump starts.not that big a deal.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

The check valve for my sump pump is noticeable noisier than it used to be, it used to be just a "thunk" which was somewhat noisy but now it sounds like it is chattering when it closes. I haven't been aware of the sump pump even coming on for awhile (months?) so was wondering if there might be some rubber in the valve that could have dried out. Whatever the reason for the chattering I'm guessing that I need a new check valve. The check valve that is there now is fastened solidly in the drain line which transfers the noise to the whole drain pipe making it even noisier than it has to be even when it is working correctly. Is there a valve available that is "decoupled" from the drain pipe when installed or would it be practical to fabricate some kind of flexible or soft material between the drain pipe and the check valve?

Reply to
John Richards

That chattering is something that happens to solenoids that are making a poor connection. I can not however think of a solenoid being used on a sump pump. Either way, the switch is probably sticking. Manually try to operate the pump (raise the float). That will tell you if the pump works. Then, either way open the switch cover (unplug the pump first), and clean the contacts with emory cloth or sandpaper. Then spray the contacts with silicone spray lube and put it back together and test it. If the switch looks burned, replace it. If the pump dont work, you may have more problems. Usually it's a stuck impeller, but you should hear the motor hum.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

John,

I just had the same problem and there is a solution. A plumbing company in my area just came out with a Quiet check valve a month ago.

My whole house would shake from the noise created by the check valve. The noise has dissapeared with this new check valve.

The company is Black Diamond Plumbing. Here is a link to thier web site:

Hope this helps!!!!

Reply to
vman922

on my pump I put a piece of plastic PVC above the check valve to function like a hammer arrestor. I also moved the pipe slightly so it did not but the floor joist. Its quiet now.

Reply to
dnoyeB