Noisy space heater fans

I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan starts getting moisy.
I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them
Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the radio or TV or stereo?
I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but sometimes they just don't heat well enough.
TIA
On 1/8/2016 12:33 PM, KenK wrote:

Please tell us about your existing lubrication procedure. What tools do you use? What kind of lube? And where does one put the lube?
I've heard a wide variety of lube techniques and of lubricants used.
Very possible you might get better results from a different technique, or different lubricant.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Whatever occurs to me at the moment. usually probably a few drops of 3 in 1 oil around the shaft where it enters the motor. No obvious oil holes in the motors.

On 1/9/2016 11:29 AM, KenK wrote:

Other posts have detailed my views on three in one. Zoom spout or ND-30 should provide better service.
Of course, some small motors have metal ends, and some folks drill an oil hole.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/8/2016 12:33 PM, KenK wrote:

Seems like all the space heaters are made to sell for $20 so they use cheap components. If you can find a replacement motor it would probably cost more than a new heater. It would not take much to improve them.
You are asking questions without giving any background. What type heater, what type fan, what type motor, what type Drive, belt? direct hookup, or coupling? sorry no answer!!!
"KenK" wrote in message
I try to lube the fan in fall before the heater is used. However, I think the bearings are sealed as it doesn't seem to help. In a few years the fan starts getting moisy.
I suspect the heater makers use cheap fans with sealed bearings so people replace the heaters sooner; the elements and switches far out last them
Anyone found a solution? Learn to enjoy listening to the fan instead of the radio or TV or stereo?
I've tried using fanless heaters such as the hot oil radiator type but sometimes they just don't heat well enough.
TIA

Rather than sealed bearings they probably use "sleeve bearings" meaning just a tube that the shaft rotates in. They may use oil-impregnated bearing material, that oozes out oil when it gets hot and sucks the oil back in when it cools off, but I doubt it.
I don't think any use ball bearings.

I'd keep my eyes open for motors or heaters at yard sales, to find a matching replacment motor. Or maybe you can find a higher quality motor for sale somewhere.
I still have a heater with a fan that I got out of the trash 40 years ago. I never use it, so maybe that's why it doesn't wear out, but I used to use it a lot. I also still have the heater my mother bought when I was born in January. Even though we had central forced-air heat, she would heat up the bathrom before she gave me a bath. She may have used it for herself too. It's almost 69 years old and the fan works fine. Even the cloth covered cord is in excellent condition. Of course I never use that either, but I'll bet the motor is much higher quality than what's sold today in a 20 dollar heater.

On 1/9/2016 1:35 AM, Micky wrote:

Now you have me thinking. You may be on to the secret of making appliances last longer. Thanks for the tip.

Any time. I've got ideas for making cars last longer too.

I can usually find a spot to oil which might include the shaft. Worn bushings is a problem as well as off balanced blades.
Greg