Noisy pipes when using bathroom faucet

Whenever I turn on the water I her banging noise and I hear it again when I turn the water off. It is only when turning on and off that the noice. It is a single sound, (not like a constant baning while running, just one hit).

Any suggestions ?

C_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Loose or missing pipe hanger. The pipe needs to be better secured.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On a similar subject, turning on my bathroom faucet is noiseless, but after a few seconds, there is banging/shuddering. Increasing the force of water shuts it off. Only in bathroom sink. Rarely use 'hot' water faucet, so this is just the cold one. No noise with shower, toilet, or other household plumbing. I vaguely recall this has something to do with "air in the pipes." Is there any simple way to purge them? I mean, it's no big deal, but annoying.

Reply to
Frogleg

Actually it has to do with the lack of air not its presence. It is not clear, but it appears you are talking about water hammer (Assuming you were trying to say it occurred when you turned the water off). If that is the case, you can turn off the main then turn on that faucet, turn on a faucet lower than that one. Maybe one in the basement or even outside) let it drain until it stops. Then close the faucets and turn the main back on. Slowly crack the original faucet and wait until the air stops coming out. Your done.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Turning on a lower faucet. That may be difficult, There is nothing really lower. I am on a slab, no bacement or crawl. I believe there may be a facuet by the water meter under the bathroom sink (don't ask why the inside water meter is under the bathroom sink..cause i dont know). How would turning on a facuet lower remove the air.

Wouldn't I need to go higher to remove air?

c_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

All you have to do is to drain the device which generally is above the faucet. You can try just turning off the water and opening up all the valves you can find and hope it clears. However note, not all homes will have the device and this trick will not always work when it does, but it is cheap and may work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sorry. I should have started a new thread, as my problem is somewhat different from the OP's. Bathroom is on 2nd floor (American). The sequence is: turn sink faucet on low-level -- water and no noise. After it runs for a few seconds, the banging/shuddering begins. If I increase the flow, the noise stops.

Is this remedy the same for my case?

Reply to
Frogleg