Noisy pipes

Background

I have a crawlspace under my house. House is 6 years old

Problem,

when pipes have been sitting for a while, (few hours) the pipes make a lot of noise when you open any faucet. particularly any hot water faucets. The pipes make a ticking rubbing type sound that stops after a minute or two, even if the water is still running. I will be selling the house inside of a year an a half, and I would like to stop this from happening as the noise is surprising the first time you hear it, especially in the kitchen where the ticking / rubbing comes from right under your feet.

I've been told that the noise comes from the pipes expanding as warmer water runs thru them, and the pipes are rubbing on the wood joists.

does anyone have a good fix for a problem like this? all the pipes are still accessible, thru the crawlspace, (though a little cramped) if I loosen off the hangers will that take care of the problem?

one of the real problem spots is where the hot water pipe enters the crawlspace thru the wall from the garage (where the hot water heater is) is there some type of grease or ?? that I could stick on the pipes that might work as I can't really enlarge the whole that the pipe passes thru.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

I saw a movie the other day and there were ghosts that were making the noise but they thought it was the pipes but it wasn't the pipes it was the ghosts and the ghosts got them and they chopped one guys head off in the fireplace too.

Reply to
Matt

It sounds like you've probably identified the cause. If you can locate an area you can reach the easiest, and know for sure that's one of the "ticking" areas,perhaps you could try using spray Lithium or Silicon grease along that route. Another possibility is one of those oil squirt cans with the pull trigger to squirt the oil.

If you can get any confidence that' you found something that can be applied to stop the squeaks, then you could use one of those lawn sprayers used for bug sprays, etc., to squirt it far into the reaches of the areas you can't easily get to. I know when I pump mine up it'll squirt liquids a good ten feet or more at a good flow rate. Saturate the areas where the pipes contact solid materians. Be sure read the instructions for ventilation requirements, and consider the volatility of whatever you plan to use. Don't use anything that can explode or flames easily (kerosene, anythiung like it).

Hot water pipes will be the worst culprits, but cold water can also do that if they've been heated from the hot water pipes next to them, and they shrink with the cold water draw.

Orrrr, you could ask around some of hte local plumbers/shops in your area or the yellow pages, but it's best to do that in person; they're more talkative.

HTH,

Pop

JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk wrote:

Reply to