Noisy neighbours

Page 2 of 2

sounds like you can't move or you would have
assuming you live in an incorporated area (eg. city, etc.), you probably have law breaking neighbors, not just noisy neighbors
as someone mentioned, if they're breaking noise laws, you might invoke the laws
you don't indicate if you live in an apartment, but it sounds like you might
if so, structural changes are probably out unless your landlord makes them
maybe piling up a bunch of nonflammable pillows and nonflammable sound retardant drapes over that wall, with a little dead airspace would decrease the noise deadening
white noise generators are okay to help mask unwanted noise but you still have to listen to the white noise
the fighting fire with fire method opens yourself up to the same noise laws and gives them further social license to make even more noise toawrds you
Mark wrote:

probably have little recourse.
I bought a condo just a few months ago and encountered the same type of neighbour. Contacted the Property Manager a few times and problem solved.
It took a couple of months, but it's been worth it.
Good Luck
Peter H
Mark wrote:

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

I had noisy teenagers for neighbors in a cheap apartment I once rented, and they kept me up many nights with their loud stereo. Finally, one Sunday night after midnight , after having the door slammed in my face with a cheery f*** you while politely requesting them to turn it down, I unplugged their electric meter from the side of the building and put it in the dumpster. Instant quiet, and they soon moved, as the electric company required another deposit they couldn't afford.

THAT'S ballsy!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
JerryMouse Wrote:

-- Mark
meet the neighbor and get them to read this discussion group, this thread

Mark wrote:

Generally it means one unit of a group of units or apartments commonly owned by all the residents who commonly take care of all the shared and outside facilities. They would have an association to make rules and decisions.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Mark wrote:

I can't think of an effective way to sound proof.
HOWEVER, used low-watt CB AM radios (e.g., Cobras) with antennas are pretty cheap, so here's a thought in the "fight fire with fire" vein:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/msg/7d0b450f0086065d
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/msg/5b73d4a63d340185
Some years ago, I had a friend who was a TV repairman. He had an oscilloscope, and some of that other odd equipment. Well, one of his neighbors was busy playing some kind of music. Opera, I want to think.
He built an oscillator, and got a couple tweeters. He rigged a high pitch noise th at was outside his hearing range (like dog whistles that people can't hear). Anyhow, every time she turned her opera on, he turned his oscillator on.
She complained to th e landlord. Who was male, and elderly. He couldn't hear a thing, and thought she was loony.
Now, as to your concerns, I suggest the direct approach. Talk to your neighbors, and ask them to turn the music off after 9 PM.
Failing that, call the town and ask about noise ordainances.
Failing that, check out the soundproofing stuff.
Failing that, move house.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus