Noisy neighbours

Page 1 of 2
I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hea
loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We hav now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on soun proofing and how effective it would be
-- Mark
Mark wrote:

hear
sound
Been there, done that, gotta say my heart goes out to you. You might want to peruse my thread on "Neighbor's Wood-Burning," only because what some of the posters say is true: no matter what you do to remedy the situation and how in the RIGHT you are, you will be seen by these people and perhaps others in the building as the bad guy.
If you don't have a lease, move (and in a rural area, try to rent a mobile home instead).
Finally, if moving is not an option, do this: go to the Salvation Army store, get an *old* television, and put the "snow" on. This will at least mask the sound of the music. Unfortunately, I'm sure what you're reacting to is the bass. This is more difficult to escape from, and I don't have any suggestions.
I'm serious when I say I'll be praying for you. If people had any idea how noise equals torture in modern society, maybe they'd be less hurtful. Maybe, but probably not. It's the trouble with living in the twenty-first century, with SurroundSound.
Mark wrote:

http://www.soundproofing.org /
In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)
Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.
You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).
Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.
Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Or you can fight fire with fire. Get a few 12" woofers and screw them to the studs. Play Anthrax "The Persistence of Time" every once in awhile, being certain to have an adequate supply of ear plugs for your family to use. That CD is far from "music" and sounds more like two trains coliding.
If you rent complain to the landlord, If it is a condo, the association. At 10 00pm the police may help, that is late.
I would probably do the same thing... LOL
Just find out what time they go to sleep and fire it up! Ahhh nothing like firing up every gas appliance at 8:00am on a sunday
Well,most communities have noise ordinances that begin at 11 PM. So,if they start up at 11:30 PM,call the cops and let them deal with it.After a couple of times of this,you have solid records to go to the management to have them deal with it. If all else fails.... I go outside to the master meter/breaker panel and shut off their electric power for a second or two.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
<< Or you can fight fire with fire. Get a few 12" woofers and screw them to the studs. Play Anthrax "The Persistence of Time" every once in awhile, being certain to have an adequate supply of ear plugs for your family to use. That CD is far from "music" and sounds more like two trains coliding. >>
That's a hoot. Used to know a wild man years ago who used to operate his chain saw (windows open of course) when late hour revelry next door got too intense. Holding the handle firmly against the wall transmitted the racket quite well and claims are that the nuisance abated after the second time. HTH
Joe
Joe Bobst wrote:

The other side of the coin: A friend moved into a new apartment and started practicing on his grand piano at 3AM. A neighbor called and complained very politely. My fried replied, "Sir. This is Wolfgang Steinberg the Third. Do you know how much some people _pay_ to hear me play?" The neighbor never called again.

"they gave marcel ledbetter that beer joint"

I would think putting the "working" end of the chainsaw to the wall would be more effective.... albeit a little messier. ;)
--
be safe.
flip

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Here's another variation on the "fight fire with fire" theme:
Many years ago a friend of mine had a problem: a nearby neighbor would practice playing her flute at all hours of the night (and wasn't particularly good). The houses were close together in the neighborhood, and this was in the summer when everyone had the windows open.
He got his hands on a sound-effects recording that featured about 20 minutes of people hysterically laughing. Placed speakers in the windows, put on the recording, and cranked it up to full volume.
The late-night flute playing stopped!
Eric Law

That's pretty doggone funny.
Speaking of dogs, we once had a neighbor with an incessantly barking dog. A few minutes with a bullhorn giving him a taste of his own medicine did the trick. It was surprising how well it worked.
I had an issue like this while living in an apartment during college. The girl downstairs decided that the recorder was her instrument. To save her roommates the grief, she would practice outside, right below our windows. We would moan and groan as she practiced 'Oh When the Saints' to no avail. Finally one day, fed up, I went out on the walkway while she was playing and whistled along with her. She figured it out after a few bars, and the outdoor playing stopped cold.
EL wrote:

There is nothing worse than a beginning clarinet player..
Clarinet: " The evil (wood)wind that blows nobody good"
It can be countered by learning to play the Sousaphone........
....... a cooler of beer, a Sousaphone, and ..... hit don't git no better... !!!!!
Andy
Reminds me of the Andy Griffith Show. "Wow, that was some jugging, Pa Darling".
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When I lived in an apartment, my neighbor turned up his stereo until it shook the walls. Each time he did this I went down the basement and tripped his electrical breaker. He bragged to everyone that his sound system was so powerful that every time he turned it up it tripped the breaker. And he turned it down.
Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software https://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod /
snipped-for-privacy@gatecom.com (Gary R. Lloyd) wrote in wrote:

cycle the breaker on and off a few times and you could blow his amp or speakers with the surges.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik wrote:

When I was in college the guy in the next room over used to play his stereo loud all the time. He finally tore it when he decided to throw a party in the suite lounge (directly across from my room) right in the middle of exams. Enough was enough.... he left his speakers in the lounge when he finally crawled off to bed at 0200.
Shortly after that, I went to work. I opened the back of each case and installed a 1000 ohm resistor in series with the speakers. The next day he put the speakers back in his room and turned it on. You could hear sound out of them but the volume was almost nonexistent. He turned them up. The resistors got hot and I assume they melted because shortly after that all sound ceased.
Being the emotional sort, he heaved his amplifier out the window (we lived on the third floor of the dorm). Problem solved. I didn't have to listen to his stereo the rest of the year. Since he then flunked out, I didn't have to listen to them the following year either.
God helps those who help themselves.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN