Noisy main floor

I'm kind of at a loss about this, but when walking around on the main floor of our 3 floor house, it makes everyone sound about 20+ pounds heavier (thump thump thump...) It has the same carpeting and underfloor as the upstairs (the basement is concrete). Granted that there is a lot more wear and tear down there, but is there any way to change the thumping foot steps down to a pitter patter? And when I mean that it sounds like everyone (myself included is heavier on that floor), it is irrespective of where we are.. even trying to tread carefully sounds very much louder than the same tiptoeing upstairs.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
DS