Noisy Kenmore Dryer

Hi all
I have a noisy Kenmore dryer that is going on 20 years old. It has been squeeking at start-up for a while, but this only lasts a few seconds. Now it has started to make a lot while in operatetion (not really a squeeking noise). Anyone out there know if it is worth trying to fix (myself or repair person) or should I look a new drier.
Thanks Michael
New dryers are cheap and better but yours is fixable. It is just all the bearings behind the drum. A new dryer is about $375 for a Kenmore top rated by Consumer Reports.

I've got a Kenmore dryer from 1973 still drying ~5 loads per week in my shop.
I replaced the idler wheels & the shafts they run on in 1990.
IMO the wheel bushins & shafts are the most likely source of the noise.
got to www.repairclinic.com for parts
cheers Bob
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:49:47 GMT, "Art"

Is that a current rating by Consumer Reports for Kenmore ? Is Kenmore carried by stores other than SEARS ?
I am in the market for an electric dryer right now (since my 31 year old Westinghouse failed again, and I am tired of repairing myself).
How does Maytag series dryers rate by Consumers Reports ? I am considering a MDE5806A (or 2nd choice MDE3757AYW, to give an idea of my willing price/feature range).
Kenmore is great and the service offered by Sears is outstanding. Home despots up here in the land of true democracy <canada> HD is the most expensive by far and worst service of any large store.

http://fixitnow.com /

(We are talking CLOTHES dryers?) :-)Newer ones seem to develop bearing problems and for the drum to sag and wear much sooner? Our 1962 Kenmore has been repaired some 7 times (including new drum bearings) and keeps turning. A relative's less than five year old Kenmore dryer drum sagged and caused considerable and expensive wear! So they scrapped it! Older ones seem to take the abuse of keeping going but best to get it repaired. Based on personal experience it has been well worth while to repair our dryer rather than buy new! If you know what you are doing they are not that complicated a machine.
My 29-year old gas Kenmore still works great. The belt and wheels have been replaced twice and the ignitor once.
Thanks to everyone who replied. I decided to try and fix the machine myself. Went to repairclinic.com to order a repair guide. Thought that would be a good place to start. Only problem is that their order system seems to think that Wyoming and Wyoming are two different states, so i keepp getting a error message. Just wondering if there is another place on the internet to order this item.
snipped-for-privacy@trib.com wrote:

Hi,
A repair manual? Sure there is... http://tinyurl.com/73ana
Thanks Jeff
I just order the manual with not problem.