noisy breaker

My hot water heater stopped heating after the power returned due to the hurricane.The breaker was turned off during the power outage, and when I turned on the breaker no hot water, but the breaker was making a strange noise.
Gary wrote:

Probably corroded contacts. The noise, would that have been a buzzing sort of sound? Also, the breaker probably was getting rather warm after doing this? The best fix is to replace the breaker, since I don't believe the internal contacts are accessible to be cleaned.

Replace it. They are too cheap to worry that something can go wrong.
Yes
-------------------------
My hot water heater stopped heating after the power returned due to the hurricane.The breaker was turned off during the power outage, and when I turned on the breaker no hot water, but the breaker was making a strange noise.

So replace the breaker. DUH!
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Doug, if he couldn't figure that one out on his own, don't you think it was a little risky telling him to replace it (by himself)? :-)
You should have at least added a legal disclaimer. Think about his widow and those poor fatherless kids . . . . and what some white shoe lawyer might try and blame you for.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)