noisy and short dishwasher cycle

Lately the dishwasher will sometimes fill with water, start, make a lot more noise than usual, then empty within a minute. It then refills and when it starts again, it operates normally.
Is this a problem? Has something failed or is something about to fail?
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 01:08:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@voyager.net (natp) wrote:

Sounds like the controls have added a pre-wash rinse cycle. Or, it is part of the fill and checking system for the amount of dirt. Our machine partly fills, turns on for a short time, then finishes the fill and continues. I'm told there are sensors that check the water to see how dirty the dishes are and it does something to the cycle time.
Are you running on a different cycle than you used in the past?