Noise pollution . . .

Page 2 of 2

San Francisco got first choice and San Diego ended up with all the lawyers.

Those stupid toys have mufflers of some sort, believe it or not. I discovered this when my neighbor dropped his stupid toy on the driveway, breaking off the muffler. Now, the stupid toy is 10 times louder than before and he thinks it's funny. This guy's an idiot. He'll chase 5 leaves around the yard for two hours. He's in good shape. He could use a rake, but he doesn't. This seems typical of many who use leaf blowers. I think they buy them because somehow, they got the idea that they were supposed to.
Get used to it. 54% of the population is hopelessly stupid. The best you can hope for is that they somehow kill themselves while using dangerous yard equipment.
By the way, your town most likely has noise ordinances, but they probably kick in at night. In my town, the only daytime rule is that organized events including loud music must have a permit. You probably don't have a prayer of getting any new laws passed, because they would also affect lawnmowers (including yours), and chain saws (which tree service people need to do their jobs).
I'm able to reason with one of my neighbors, who has an industrial strength leaf blower on wheels. He used to blow some leaves, stop & read a magazine, blow some more leaves, have a little lunch, blow some leaves, check his car's oil....there was noise all day. I asked him if he could compress the noise into one session so the whole day wasn't polluted. He's cool. He did it.
Meanwhile, I can rake 1/4 acre of leaves and bag them in about 90 minutes, which is much faster than some of these putzes with leaf blowers.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote in message ...

strength
magazine,
his
compress the

He did

minutes,
I rake my own leaves as well, and bag them. No piles in front of my house, due to high school kids running over them. It's a chore, but I hate leaf blowers too, and what I really hate is those idiots that blow them from one yard into your yard or your driveway. I do have a drummer that lives across the street from me...now, that's annoying.
Cheri
Ray wrote:

I've thought about the issue a good deal. Even wondered how a zoning ordinance would work which limits use in a given area to certain days of the week. Wouldn't work here, probably, because the same contractors work on a lot of the neighborhood homes. We have trash pickup two times a week, next-door neighbor two days but different trash hauler. They back into the parking lot, hoist the dumpster. Another truck to pick up the recycling barrels, hoist them and dump them. There is a lot that can be gained by changing landscaping to stuff that doesn't require a lot of maintenance, but folks love their grass. I get crazy when I see posts about people who want to kill the ants crawling in their yards or on their trees. A tax advantage for enviro-friendly landscape practices might work. I'm not on a rant about folks who use grassy yards or who are getting eaten up by fire ants and want to get rid of them. There is just a huge amount of needless use of chemicals. I read recently that Florida - I don't recall which agency - is trying to eliminate ALL WILD BEE HIVES. Africanized bees are in Florida, so I guess that is the justification. I rarely see a bee and always wonder if it will be the last one. I used to do nature photography, looking for spots that are free of signs of humanity. There is so much trash in the water that I can't find those places. When I used to go shelling, I would brink two bags, one for shells to pick up on the way out, and one to pick up trash on the way back. I have found clothing, furniture, false teeth, hundreds of plastic bags and bottles, wallets, etc. Folks toss bottles out the window of vehicles all over the place. Just amazing.

Big deal, 2 leaf blowers and a leaf vacuum to bitch about. Instead of complaining, you should be happy that you have a neighbor who takes care of his property. How long does this leaf blowing take? Around here pro's like that are done in an hour and come back 2 weeks later. They do it about 3 times in the Fall. And yeah, they may use 1 leaf blower to clean up after cutting the lawn during the other 6 months, but that takes all of 5 minutes.

Around here, the pros ARE done quickly. But, I have a couple of neighbors who go at it all day long for some reason. I'm not kidding. All day long.
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:38:24 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote Re Re: Noise pollution . . .:

Well said.
clipped

Every week x52 the lawn is mowed, edged, hedges trimmed, and all the stuff blown away somerwhere. That is four power tools each week, on each property. It's only one hour of noise on our property, and I don't really notice the surrounding neighbor's noise. And since I am at it, I have a gripe about light polution :o) Yard lights, spot lights, floods on all night along our channel. It is great to go out after dark, when it is dark, and check out the moon and stars. One neighbor across the channel has a flag in his back yard and keeps it lighted, which is proper, but ... I like the dark at night :o) And then there are the nasty parakeets that are extremely noisy and not a natural species here. At least the neighbor with the squaky parrot moved away. Now all I hear at night is the drunk neighbors fighting :o)
Blowing or raking leaves is silly. It's much easier to mow them up and dump the bag where you need weed control.
More to your issue: Plenty of cities have ordinances against leaf blowers and/or noise. Most lawmakers are just itching to make more laws, so hit 'em up.

Quite a few cities have enacted such ordinances. I haven't studied the issue but the anecdotal reports I've seen suggest these laws have been considered rather successful.
on 11/20/2007 4:13 PM Malcolm Hoar said the following:

Yes, I remember reading about those ordinances. I forgot where they are, but I am almost sure they are in California. BTW. I have one and feel guilty whenever I use it. I try to do it during the week when people are working. I live on a cul-de-sac off a dead end road and we all have one acre plots, so we are not on top of each other. All of my neighbors work except for one couple, but they use a leaf blower, so I don't feel my leaf blowing is a problem for them. Two of my neighbors have jobs whose shifts rotate, so I check that their commuter cars are not home when I leaf blow.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If its that bad so is the insulating value of your windows and house, or move if its not. But 2 stroke polluters should be banned anyway , and some communities are with you as am I .

Yes, the examples I was thinking of are in CA. Menlo Park enacted one but after I moved away from that city.
Lots of professional gardeners protested but from what I understand they've all adapted to quieter alternatives without any significant problems.
In the street where I live now, there's no restrictions and almost every home has a gardener. It means we have leaf blowers running every day of the week. It does drive me crazy and I'd be very happy if my city enacted a ban.

It's maddening. Fall is a nightmare with these people going on and on with those friggin leaf blowers. Last year the next door neighbor's lawn guy had 4 heavy duty blowers going at the same time. Given that it's a third of an acre, at least half covered by the house, pool and patio, why would it take these young guys over 4 hours to get the leaves off? I felt like going over there with a rake and showing them how it's done. They hardly even have any trees.
I wish they would be banned. The fumes that come out of them, and they are worried about my light bulbs? Leaf blowers are a curse.
nancy
Nancy Young wrote:

Leaf blowers/ suckers - environmental impact of production and operation? Height of self indulgence, idleness and inconsideration of impact upon the planet. Few seem to have knowledge today of the rake and purpose of the compost heap!
Ray, 11/20/2007,12:10:21 PM, wrote:

I see you are part of the "there ought to be a law" crowd. Make everyone else change there lifestyles just to suit you.
Why don't you just go over and ask them kindly when they will be done and then go out for a ride somewhere so your sensibilities won't be offended?
--
"I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always
oppressive." ~ Thomas Jefferson

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:10:21 +0000, Ray wrote:

All lawn and garden equipment have mufflers. Buy a pair of noise reducing headphones, ear plugs etc...
What do your neighbors do when you more your lawn, use your trimmer/blower etc...?
just wondering how you get your leaves up sir. used to be around here,noone did leaves or grass on sunday.it was nice.2 new neighbors defended their right to do it on sunday.so ,now sundays are noisy too.. if it goes on past dark call police for disturbing the peace.