Noise pollution . . .

Page 1 of 2
As I write these words, directly across my street, two heavy-duty gas-powered leaf-blowers, and one leaf vaccuum are going full blast -- and it is about to blast me out of my house. Although this is the worst example, not a day passes that I don't have to endure such noise.
For the life of me, I can't understand why the city and state requires mufflers on cars, yet lets these monster machines make life intolerable for anyone in earshot.
If anyone knows of an organization whose purpose is to bring pressure on manufacturers to muffle lawn-equipment, please let me know. If no such organization exists, I'd consider leading the charge to establish one.
Congressional action would be the best approach, but that's not likely. However, if city councils can start to agitate by passing noise-control ordinances, sooner or later the manufacturers would get the message.
I'd welcome any comments/discussion.
Ray wrote:

Earplugs. Fifty cents.
Noise is part of the price you pay for living in an upscale neighborhood in a dynamic city.
But what's wrong with putting mufflers on the machines to improve the quality of life in our city?
No one would consider any city which did not require automobile mufflers to be "dynamic."

Ray wrote:

Every gasoline engine on every item I own _has_ a muffler--I expect these do as well...
Why aren't you at work? :)
--

> No one would consider any city which did not require automobile mufflers to
> be "dynamic."
I'm not at work because I'm retired. The owner of the house is at work as a fatcat lawyer, and he doesn't have to hear the grief he is inflicting on his neighbors who are trying to enjoy some peace in their own homes.
You can bet you last dollar that if there were an equivalent level of noise outside his office window, he'd be calling the police.

Maybe that could be arranged. Heh. Get evil.

They likely do have mufflers, but blowing or vacuuming leaves calls for moving a lot of air and that gets noisy.
Find something else to worry about. I am sure you do something to aggravate them.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Ummm, I don't think so. The leaf blower noise comes from the *engine*. Electric blowers are *much* quieter.
Yes, fans make noise but that isn't a significant issue in this scenario.
Gary Player. |

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan, 11/22/2007,12:00:13 PM, wrote:

I just used my electric leaf blower to clear the front stoop and rear deck. It couldn't even clear the leaves caught in the open rails of the deck. I tried blowing some around in the yard and realized I could do it faster and neater with a rake.
This thread has inspired me to go to the store and buy a new gasoline powered leaf blower. Thanks for the idea Ray!
badgolferman wrote:

Quite, wasting energy and bunging out CO2 when one could get some exercise raking the leaves. Is it any wonder that we are so obese? I'll keep raking.

Actually I mulch most of mine.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Well, yes, more powerful blowers make more noise. No argument there.
However, I still maintain that most of the noise comes from the engine versus the fan.
Ray wrote:

Wouldn't work. Did you know small aircraft don't have mufflers?
It's because a muffler reduces the power output of the engine by a significant percent. In the case of airplanes, they would need a larger engine to compensate for the reduced power. That means more weight, etc.
In the case of a leaf-blower, the larger engine would increase the cost and no one would buy the thing.
There is a bright side, however. In my neighborhood, Home Depot is giving away a free Messican with the purchase of each new leaf blower. This is not a one-time special either; evidently there is an endless supply of Messicans.

I walked into an office one day at work, years ago. Two guys were joking around. One Mexican, the other Black. They were commenting about a local neighborhood and about each others ethnicity. The Mexican said; If they see a bunch of us riding in a car, they know we are landscapers. The Black guy said; If they see a bunch of us riding in a car, they called it Grand Theft Auto.
Yes it happened :-/
on 11/20/2007 12:33 PM Ray said the following:

It's not the lack of mufflers. It's the whine of the fan that blows the leaves.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
HeyBub wrote:

Uhhh...my problem is airboats. Specifically, one airboat. And they/it are too loud for earplugs.
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

Noise is part of the price you pay for living in an upscale neighborhood in a dynamic city.

Not from the driver's seat :-)) Out all night gigging frogs, until daylight.

[snip]
The reason HeyBub's city has noisy leaf blowers and dadiOH's area has noisy airboats is because HeyBub got first choice.