Noise in Telephone Line

I have the following connected to my telephone line from Bell:

- a DSL Modem (Speedstream 6520)

- a Brother MFC-240 Multifunction Printer/Fax/Copier machine

- one Panasonic Wireless Telephone (Base + one extension)

- one extra telephone The printer is the last addition. I noticed a line noise - a continous low howl on the telephone lines. I have tried to have the phones, DSL and printer on a different line. The noise is still there

- it goes away when I remove the printer from the line. I have the printer and the telephone connected to line filters. I am at a loss in tracing the source or cause of this line noise. I tried to connect a phone to the Ext. jack on the printer and noticed that I could not hear the noise on the extension. But the noise is constant on the other two phones - Basement and Bedroom.

What els can I check please ?

Thanks.

Reply to
malam

malam wrote: - it goes away when I remove the printer from the line.

sounds like you have fixed it already.

Reply to
RayV

Reply to
malam

Check the printer manual, fax section. It might be that the fax is constantly trying to communicate (or _thinks_ it's communicating) over the phone line.

Its default setting may assume it has its own separate fax line, that it can signal to any way it wants, when it wants.

It may need to be taught how to to share with others... :p

The fax will filter out any signals it generates, to its own phone jack.

If you start to dial out from a phone on the printer jack, does the noise stop on the other phones?

Reply to
Randy Day

I tried to dial out from the telephone on the printer extension and listened to the other line - the noise was not present ! It came back as soon as I press the reset dial tone button on the phone at the fax/printer. This is strange ! Why did the noise disappears when I was on the phone attached to the printer ?

Reply to
malam

The printer's broke.

Reply to
HeyBub
[snip]

Because the fax turns off its signal when the user picks up to make a voice call; otherwise the noise would annoy the called party. It can't detect other phones on the circuit, though.

Have you noticed the noise on the line if someone dials in, and you answer on another phone? It may shut off after a second or so if it does not detect an incoming fax signal.

The fax is definitely the source of the signal, and I'm willing to bet there is a machine setting to turn it off.

Read your manual carefully, especially the fax section. Probably something like 'autoanswer enable/disable' or 'autodetect fax on/off' or some such tech-speak.

The other option is to connect all the other phones to the fax's phone jack! :)

HTH

Reply to
Randy Day

Then you'll have to accept the noise. It's probably that simple. Properly functioning equipment does NOT introduce audible noise to the phone line. The device is apparently defective. Sorry.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Perhaps even a software setting also (if the PC is running).

The OP can check the RJ connector and see if something is bent or damaged.

-- Oren

Oren

Reply to
malam

It's the line jack in your printer. I had the same problem a few years back. I contacted the manufacturer and got a new replacment jack for the printer.

Reply to
zuul

Another Update:

I installed a DSL Splitter made by Suttle that separated the voice and data lines. I then had a dedicated line to the DSL Modem from the Data Port of the Splitter and the phones and fax machine on the separate voice lines. I had a connection jack for the voice lines that fed each telephone extension.

The noise is gone, the DSL speed and fax machine works fine. The splitter had a built-in filter for the voice lines so that I do not need filters on each phone extension anymore. Looks like a bad connection somewhere, but the rewiring solved the problem .

Thanks guys for your suggesti>>

Reply to
malam