Noise from Windows

I'm considering replacing the windows in the rear of my house. This is for noise improvements- I've had no trouble with energy costs.
Question: The window frames are in good condition and are, I'm pretty sure, Standard builder aluminum with 1/8" glass. One window salesperson said I should get vinyl windows with double-glazed argon/etc (which, of course, he was selling). Another suggested I would be find just replacing the glass with 1/4" thick double glazed safety glass.
Has anyone tried the glass replacement and been happy/not happy with it? What have you thought of it?
Thanks,
Roger
You are somewhat restricting the discussion. Given that, replacement wood sashes with double-pane low-e glazing, and tight seals side/top/bottom, made for major reduction of noise-transmission.
All the vinyl sashes I've seen are flimsy, ... and I'd be concerned about long-term UV.
Note the above about the sealing around the sashes. More than just reglazing, eh?
You must be in one unusual area to not have to factor in energy costs. Free?
HTH, J

Since your windows are made for single glass. I am reasonably sure that your not going to find any "double glazed replacement glass". Since the double glazed would be thicker.
If you do find a source let us know.
I had foam injected to a block home I owned and it made a lot of noise difference. My neighbor had a heart attack and I did not even hear the emergency vehicles. You have more wall surface than window.
no snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com wrote:

Much of the heat loss is through the aluminum frames. Our house originally came with double glazed aluminum framed windows. Changing to Vinyl frames low-e and argon, made a huge improvement.
Why would you ever use 1/4" glass? unless you have very large windows like a store front.