Noise from neighbors, solutions?

Ok this is exactly the and you nailed it right on..
What I'm trying to dampen are not LOUD out burst because I doubt I'll ever be able to do that and in the event of we can close the doors and windows no big deal, but for the other 95% of the time when it's just voices I'm sure there is SOME type of solution that will help since the sound is basically just traveling up and over my wall.
What I cannot do here is modify the architectural harmony that is visible from the exterior. If I put up a wall and stucco it the same color as the rest within my property it wouldn't be very noticeable and therefor acceptable. Also remember that the cost of this work here is not much in comparison to other countries maybe $1000 - $2000 USD for the wall.
I do have a bunch of left over rubber (about 0.5 cm) thick from a renovation I'm doing here at my house. I'm going to put that up on the fence and see what happens. I have a feeling that this will help a lot. Then I'll know if putting up a concrete block wall, concrete board wall, or exterior drywall will help. I understand the denser the product the more it will dampen. That's why I thought the block is best and next up is the concrete board.
Thanks for the suggestion Ed.
Also thank you to everyone else for their comments. I will take them all into consideration.
Regards, Nick
I vote for the landscaping solution and suggest you consider a clumping bamboo. Most tropical bamboos are clumping types - you don't want the running bamboo because it can get out of control. Something like Buddha Belly bamboo or giant timber bamboo will provide a sound barricade and a good-looking landscaping backdrop. It will not only be a sound barrier, but also when there is any wind it sways in the breeze and sounds like soft wooden wind chimes. Finally, in the unlikely event of a hurricane, it will provide an excellent windbreak, bending but not breaking and providing some protection for your property.
I planted the bamboo for other reasons, but have discovered it almost completely blocks the sounds of noisy kids having a party at the swimming pool next door. It also is a very restful appearance looking at it through the patio doors to that side of the house. It provides a shaded area for our orchid collection and is now home to many birds that nest and roost there where they're protected from predators.

Now I'm curious. What country is this that has cheap work but rules as onerous as the USA's.

Can you hire a priest to visit, regularly? I notice people swear a bit less around priests.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How bout 150 db **sine waves**, from 6' Marshall amps?? DAT will clear out asshole neighbors, and virtually *all wildlife*, proly rats AND roaches.
Choose yer frequency..... the right one will start shattering window glass.
No evil grin here.... ahm in the process of preparing for this..... for the muthafuckas who see fit to use 5 hp unmufflered leaf blowers, to blow one effing leaf up the road, for five/six hundred feet.
Gotta be a penis-thing.....
--
EA

> The Ranger

If I want anal vapor, I can just leave the bathroom fan off while taking a good dump.

Sounds like community living is not for you. Move to the country. You'll hear frogs and birds, probably not any quieter, but maybe more pleasant than neighbors. Certainly closing the windows will reduce the "noise."

Heh, birds, esp. crows and bluejays, and a cupla night-time warblers (mebbe they think it's the AM from the streetlights??) can drive you bonkers. I imagine a persistent woodpecker is no joy, either.
--
EA

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:09:15 -0400, "Existential Angst"

"Poor Mr. Flibbety Jib, with a rumble bumble bumble in his head. We'll try the country life he said, we'll try it, we'll try it, and maybe if we like we'll buy it."
I forget the rest of the words, I haven't heard them for over 50 years, but the gist of it is he moves to the country and the noises there annoy him just as much.
This was a 78 rpm record thinner than the average 78 and the size of a 45 and I still have it in the next room, but no time to paly it right now. It was probably a present in 1950 when I was 3.

Heh, reminds me of my foray to a an old family friend's 200 acre spread upstate. Man, all I did was run from goddamm dive-bombing deer flies.... holy shit.....
When I got back, I looked at the concrete underfoot in a kind of religious ecstacy..... I thought I was going to need stitches from those deer flies....
--
EA

A Parabolic speaker. They have been used in crowd control to focus sound.. Sorry, my link is broken for a home-made one - intended for barking dogs. Text from the file...
http://i39.tinypic.com/o0dk6p.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/11tn1io.jpg
* Plan Type Speaker wall Drawn 05/04/04 Name Dish speaker Status Plan
Application Unknown Dish network
The purpose of this project is create a high power parabolic sound beam from disgarded objects and materials. The speaker system when complete should be as powerful as a commercially available unit, though with very little cost.
Configuration Parabolic reflector Dimensions 2.m x 1m x .5m Driver diameter 10" diameter Power 150 watts Materials Sheet metal dish Key components below: dish & speaker The Satellite dish
Due to changes in TV technology, from cable to satellite to digital the built environment is littered with disgarded media components. The satelillite dish is perhaps the most visible of these. It is a very specific device capable of collecting a wide varity of waves forms into a focal point whereby they can be converted, in this instance a single to a moving image.
It also happens that the parabolic dish is a powerful acoustic device if the process is reversed, collection device replaced with a speaker. Wave forms are now emitted from its surface. This is achived by mounting a speaker at the focal point of the dish. The dish reflects the sound waves into a highly directional beam with remarkable throw characteristics. Application: Commercial application for parabolic speaker system are listed as spaces like Airports, Shopping Malls and stadiums. They are also used in by the police in situation like crowd control, hostage crisis, anywhere where long throw intelligable audio is required. Parabolic speakers
Parabolic surfaces have a very unique acoustical quaility which defies conventional speaker devices which are bound by the inverse sqaure law. This physical law states that for a given distance that energy is emitted from a source be it gravitional, eletrical, or acoustical energy is spread over a larger and larger continoually sub dividing area. Thus sound energy emitted from a source is lost more and more the further it must travel.
Meyer Sound a leading speaker company have developed a parabolic speaker device that "is the first device to propagate sound waves that decrease as little as 3 dB SPL per doubling of distance for more than 300 ft, across a five-octave frequency range, with a consistent and narrow beam width." What kind of results could be achived with disgarded satellite dish.
Though the dish found only measures 500mm in diameter the speaker mounted at the focal point is higly efficient and powerful. The E110 driver manufactured by JBL is now a discontinued model from the 1980s which was very popular with guitar head type speakers and and high power systems used in Raves.

Maybe you can make a vinyl cover to go over the iron fence. I have a vinyl cover, lined with a layer of flannel, for my lawnmower, which is stored outside. I think the vinyl is heavy, but at least the combination is.
You could have it made at a furniture upholstery shop, so that it slips on, ties on to keep it from blowing away, but it could still be removed. Maybe no one from your n'hood will complain. If they do, maybe they will be sympathetic to your reasons. IF not, maybe you can just put it on during particularly loud periods, and let those periods get longer as no one objects.
Maybe you can get your side by side neighbors to agree that there is a problem. Or maybe you can ask them if they have a problme, what they do. Ask the next door neighbors if they would mind very much if you put the covers on. People like to be asked. Next door n'bors are the most likely to complain, but are less likely if they are consulted. Mybe if you order covers for two houses at the same time, you'll get them cheaper.
If you can get the fabric at a fabric store, and I know you can, you can make them yourself. Just sew three sides of the rectangle, then turn it inside out so the sewing is hidden. Like a pillow case. TWo or four small grommets and some attrractive string, maybe long buckskin shoe laces. It will be ornamental.