Nobody was listening.

First off, it did *not* take "5+ days" after the storm made landfall before help started coming. In the second place, even after it made landfall, it was

*still* a friggin' hurricane, for Pete's sake -- kinda tough to fly helicopters, or drive trucks, in 100mph winds. They *can't* start moving help in until after the winds subside.

And, of course, delivery of help is considerably complicated when gangs of thugs start shooting at the rescue helicopters and repair trucks.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Don't overlook the fact that they turned all of those in prison loose on the streets.

Reply to
Gort

The storm was out of there quickly.

1200 National Guard were there by Tuesday. It took till Friday for 40k more to arrive. If they had shown a stronger presence up front, the lawlessness would have been quickly stopped.
Reply to
FDR

They should have left them in the prisons to die like the thousands of innocent victims. It's God will that these thing happen. Hallelujah.

Reply to
Dave Jefford

It's a never ending weekend.

David Starr

I don't envy them the task, but...

Some of the cops went so far as to join in, so there clearly are some serious problems in the force to start with.

Looters had to get around the flooded streets as well as the cops--most of what I saw being looted wasn't all that flooded, nor would it have made a lot of sense to loot water-damaged goods.

An early example made of several would have had a pretty major mitigating factor in all likelihood.

That said, it was a tough situation and leadership from the top didn't seem to be up to the task both locally and statewide which certainly didn't give the average "cop on the beat" much support.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Maybe we should recruite card carrying NRA nationwide and hunt these criminals down and hang them like the wild, wild West?

Reply to
Dave Jefford

Per YouKidding?:

Now *that* is impressive. I've never gotten stuck in 2WD, but I've definitely depended on chains. Got so I could pull off on to a shoulder, slap on the chains, and be back on the road within about 15 minutes max - with one more stop to tighten them up.

VW Bug I had, I remember driving in snow that was so deep that the front end was riding up on the compacted snow and I was using the front wheels to steer as if they were rudders on a boat. Without chains, I would have been sleeping in the car.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

This is Turtle.

FEMA is not allowed into a state without the Governor Permission and up till this week end they were not allowed in the State of louisiana by the Governor refussing aide and told them she would control everything that they do and for now she want $9 Million dollars and Stay out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Looks like you understand things better than Nagin and Blanco....want to run for office?

SueK

Reply to
jJohn Klausner

Per Ann:

Geeze, you're really stirring up some memories for me..... Now *that* was a mess.

The other big one I remember was when an Indian Valley Bulk Carrier semi crashed and took out some awful number of people with it.

That one has special meaning to me because about a week before it happened, I had called the State Police to report the behavior of one of their trucks - which was painted a distinctive shade of metallic blue - that was going on day-after-day. First and only time in my life I had ever made such a call.

Saw the pix of the crash on evening news. Same truck....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Maybe...but he seems to have a pretty good grasp on how things _should_ have worked... Maybe you could overlook this little idiosyncracy? SueK

Reply to
jJohn Klausner

Not as quickly as you seem to think.

And if the New Orleans cops had been doing their jobs at the beginning, it never would have gotten started. But they allowed looting to go unchecked for two days. Now you want to blame the _national_ government for the lawlessness?

Reply to
Doug Miller

This is Turtle.

You can't charge Polical Government elected officals with being stupid or being inhuman for you would have 90% of all Elected Officals in jail that are elected right now.

Now I will say this , they were incompetant but the Multi-Billions of Dollars that would come their way in the form of aide from the Federal Govt. for them to figure out how to pick off a few billion for them to have a retirement program was the biggest deal of all. They just waited too late to know when to stop and give up. You should know your ability and what you can handle before you start a job like this.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

On 8/27/2005 the Governor was ask did she want Federal Rescue and Aid to be coming into the City. She said NO send me $9 Million Dollars and we will fix it. the Hurrican has passed over at this timer.

On 9/02/2005 Governor Blanco finally ask for Federal Aide to comer in. How long does it take to figure out you're in trouble and need help ? 5 days is a long time to think about it before calling for federal Aide.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Pete You have your guns pointed in the wrong direction.

FEMA : Rebuilds house, rebuild city businesses , and just rebuild what is damaged in the form of property.

Red Cross : sets up sheilter and feeds the people of a storm.

Federal Aide : Comes in and gets all the people out , Take control of the Law breakers, and sets up a system of everybody can get in and out as the FEMA or Red Cross wants to check on things that they need to see about the people and their problem. they just get the people out of the city with troops and provide law and order to the city.

FEMA does not have to be set to do anything real fast for they are just the rebuilders of the city and they will wait a month or two to get the city back where they can come look and adjust the cost of rebuilding the city. Right now FEMA has very little to do right now but Federal Aide [ troops / law control being set up ] is working now.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Wait'll you hear the truth about Santa...

Reply to
G Henslee

TURTLE wrote: ....

You might want to look at

You have only a tiny fraction of what FEMA does as well as the Red Cross, Salvation Army, a myriad of church relief organizations, etc., etc., etc., ...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I'd prefer Nurse Goodbody. pfft.

Reply to
G Henslee

We had a little yellow Mazda station wagon with the rotary and 4 speed(might have been 5). It would outrun every highway patrol car in Texas. Some of the radios caught me though. Also had 2 or 3 rotary engined pickups as company trucks. It didn't take me long to decide that the drivers had to buy their own tires and brakes. I sure wish I had that little station wagon back. I think it was called an RX4.

-- J.C.

Reply to
J.C.