Nobody was listening.

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:YhMSe.87$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

driving thier Hummers & Mercedes SUVs? (i just saw a Mercedes SUV for the first time last week. i almost fell over laughing) lee

Reply to
enigma

Goedjn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

we just ended a drought last year. i didn't know there were EPA rules about clearing underbrush... i have a sugarbush where all the brush is cleared. one can't properly manage forested growth without managing underbrush. of course, my brush management method of choice is to let the livestock into the woods...

the floods come during/after snow melt, so not co-incident.

NH hasn't had 10' of snow in decades! people start freaking at an inch! of course, even 5" of snow is a 'disaster' up here now because NH is a bedroom community for Boston. it's rare to find folks who know how to drive in snow (buying a big ass 4WD does NOT mean you can drive 65 on ice, folks!), and then you have thousands of them driving 50 or more miles to work every day (which also explains the gas crunch). as an aside, there really isn't an alternative for the commuters besides carpooling. the Feds cut Amtracks budget, which eliminated rail service from Maine & NH entirely, less than a year after we had finally got some, and the buses no longer run hourly weekday service. you either leave at 5am or

8:30 am & return at 5pm or 6:30pm. not gonna get commuters *or* shoppers with that kind of schedule (i could use rail (20 minutes to the rail station) to take my kid to Boston for the museums. now i would have to drive... i also have to drive to Boston (1 hour, 15 minutes) to get a train to NYC. that's pretty stupid too. another 3.5 hours & i could just drive to NYC) lee
Reply to
enigma

"Ann" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@epix.net:

yeah, but at the time i was too broke to buy food. if the fridge isn't working in the winter i put stuff outside in bear proof containers :) in a blizzard, it's cold enough to keep everything frozen.

agreed on the tornadoes. even a blizzard is more predictable than one of those. a blizzard is a specific meteorlogical event & if one watches the weather carefully one can be more prepared than by listening to the talking head news weathermen... i particularly dislike the current trend of calling *any* snowfall over 3" a "blizzard". it makes people too blasé when a real one comes along...kinda like when the hurricanes veer & miss. stupid people start thinking they always will veer & miss.

lee

Reply to
enigma

keith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzz:

as a kid, visiting my grandparents in Florida in February, i found it very funny that the 'natives' were wearing winter coats and the tourists were wearing bikinis. neither group was really dressed for the weather :)

lee

Reply to
enigma

None, of course. What I was replying to has been snipped.

Reply to
Ann

I was on a business trip to Dallas one February with a bunch of colleagues. The second day there we all showed up in shirt-sleeves, even though it was drizzeling and ~55F. The locals were all bundled up in their winter best and asked if we weren't cold. I told them it was 90F colder at home (VT) earlier that morning. They were slack-jawed. ;-)

Reply to
keith

I still have a set of V-bars. They were for a car with 15" wheels so would probably be ok for my PU. Have considered that it would be a hoot to put them on. The thing is, the state did the recycle-in-place thing with our blacktop secondary roads and they're now "soft". Ice keys into the surface and plowing pulls up chunks of road. With V-bars and low gear, one should be able to cut some interesting patterns.

Reply to
Ann

Was it green? I had one of those, I think it was a '72. Ugly, but it was the biggest engine I ever had. varoooom Bill

Reply to
Bill

I live in central Michigan, where we get a fair amount of snow. What amazes me is the number of people that drive as though it's still summer. Accelerate as fast as possible, then stand on the brakes at the light. I'm sure you and your wife are aware that 4WD does not include instant stopping. These clowns think it does! The freeways are the worst; 75+ regardless os road conditions. I make it a point to wave & smile as I pass them while they're surveying the damage in the ditch.

Oh, Yeah! Chains - the driver's best friend in deep snow.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Web Page:

David Starr

Amen to that. It used to be fun puttin' on the chains & going where you wanted to while everyone else was slipping & sliding. PS - I'm 63. :-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Web Page:

David Starr

This past Feb. in Florida, we came out of a restaurant one evening & it was 68 degrees. We thought it was great; the locals either had coats on or were shivering.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Web Page:

David Starr

Had a set - wore them out years ago. On hard pavement, you could nail it & shoot out sparks, entertaining the guy behind you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Web Page:

David Starr

Global Warming/Hurricane Link Debunked; New Evidence Shows Abrupt Global Climate Change

Cooler Heads Coalition October 20, 1998

Global Warming/Hurricane Link Debunked

The Cooler Heads coalition sponsored a science briefing for media and congressional staff on October 9, featuring Dr. William Gray, professor of atmospheric science at Colorado State University. Gray, the foremost expert on hurricanes in the U.S., spoke about the link between global warming and hurricanes.

According to Gray, hurricane activity follows a natural 20 to 40 year cycle that is correlated to changes in ocean currents. The 1940s and

1950s, for example saw many land-falling tropical storms. From 1947-1960 there were 14 land-falling storms, but from 1960-1988 there were only 2. We are now in a period of heightened hurricane activity.

The mechanism that controls the Earth?s most important and largest ocean current, known as the thermohaline circulation, is salinity. The Atlantic Ocean is much saltier than other oceans because there is more evaporation than rain. This salty (and warmer) water travels north where it sinks due to its higher density, cools and returns to the south. There it warms and becomes saltier, beginning the process once again.

When salt content is high the ocean current is strong, pushing the salt particles through the system rapidly, preventing the build up of salt. This weakens the ocean current leading to greater salinity which in turn strengthens the current again. This occurs in 20 to 40 year cycles, according to Dr. Gray, is entirely natural, and has been occurring for thousands of years. When salinity is high and the thermohaline circulation is strong this warms up the North Atlantic and hurricanes become more frequent and more intense. When the circulation is weak the opposite is true.

Reply to
Offbreed

He should go, but not as the scapegoat.

The main responsibility for the deaths is local. The Mayor, the Emergency Director appointed by the Mayor (Ebbert), and Gov. Blanco.

Brown never had a chance to do as much damage as those three, so laying all the blame on him is stupid.

Reply to
Offbreed

If they sell more don't supplies go up and prices down?

Reply to
FDR

What about the ACF Yuma refinery:

===== U.S. EPA Region 9 Electronic Permit Submittal System Final Permit

Permit Number: 1001205 Updated: 07/20/2005 Permitting Authority: ARIZONA DEQ County: YUMA AFS Plant ID: 04-027-Z2467 Facility: ARIZONA CLEAN FUELS, LLC Address: N/A City: Yuma, Arizona .... Status: Final

=======

The estimated cost to build the refinery is $2+ billion, which goes a long way toward explaining why more new refineries aren't built. It usually costs less to add on to an existing refinery. And whether a refinery can get the permit to add capacity depends a lot on their compliance record.

Reply to
Ann

Will Brown get fired or resign? No.

Reply to
FDR

And written by a great man in the industry, as well as the President of the RPA...

Reply to
HeatMan

"Snow drivers" all live where it is dead flat, and got certified by driving to the market on a Saturday morning when there was no traffic on the road.

My wife drives in snow and ice every winter, over steep mountain passes. I put her in the best equipment available, full time 4WD with very aggressive tread studded snow tires and ABS. At that, her decision is quite frequently to stay right where she is until conditions improve. She is confident that she can get anywhere by driving cautiously, but is not so confident about the other drivers on the road.

One of the greatest drives of my life was being the first car down the road with 8" of new snow. The freeway was a 20 mile parking lot, so I took the back roads home. I was driving a Dodge Polara with tire chains on the rear and a 383 under the hood. It was like driving a magic carpet. The snow was deep enough to kill the vibration from the tire chains and muffle the sound of the engine. I drove for about half an hour without even a rut or track to deal with. It was glorious. That was 30 years ago, and I still remember it as one of those special moments that will never be repeated.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Many of the readers here don't even know what tire chains are. You have to be over 50 to relate and appreciate your story.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski