Nobody was listening.

Ann wrote: ....

Not "every" year...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Ann wrote: .....

In fact, cost is a very poor indicator of actual severity. The penchant of news services in reporting dollar damage estimates is peculiar imo. Simply the inflation factor between now and the Galveston event, for example, would increase it's "severity" by orders of magnitued...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Don Bruder wrote: ....

Don't get me going on spring of '57... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

FDR wrote: ....

A. So they're supposed to have excess capacity just scattered around waiting, too?

B. As noted ad nauseum, oil and gasoline prices are set on open commodity markets.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

But the money will be spent here, rather than building infrastructure in Iraq for the insurgents to blow up.

Reply to
Ann

Note: I didn't write the sentence you quoted.

Reply to
Ann

That I did write.

Reply to
Ann

On 09/03/05 04:13 pm Don Bruder tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Where were they going to go to? Oh yes! The feds or their state welfare department would within five minutes have given them vouchers for a few weeks' free accommodation at a motel, I suppose -- and bus tickets to get there for the ones who were too ill to walk.

Dream on.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Great Japanese restaurant!!!!

I love the way they prepare and cook everything right at the table!

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Environmentalists and NIMBY.

Reply to
Offbreed

Not quite, but it does face the prospect every spring. Is that regularity enough for you? New Orleans has faced the threat of flooding every year for just about every year since it was founded, and that was whether or not hurricanes hit it. Hurricanes were just another threat. (snip)

Reply to
The Watcher

No. I've recognized that shit happens.

No, I moved from Louisiana(dumb move, eh?) to Arkansas, got some weapons, water, probably a normal amount of toilet paper, and moved to 45 acres of nice country property which I enjoy long before the Y2K scare. I bet you're another of those people who like to ridicule survivalists, aren't you? You'd think after this week it would sink in a bit more that maybe those survivalists are onto something with their ideas about preparing for disasters. After this week a LOT of people have learned the consequences of failure to prepare for disaster, as well as the consequences of depending on the government to take care of them in a disaster. Anybody here still think the government gonna be there for you in a disaster?

Reply to
The Watcher

HeatMan stubbornly clings to his ignorance:

If the floor temp's equal in each case, who would feel the difference???

....10 Btu/h-ft^2 might come from an 80 F floor with PEX and spreaders beneath or an 80 F R1 floor with 90 F air beneath. An unfinished basement ceiling might have warm air from a woodstove or gas heater under foil or foil-faced foamboard stapled or screwed under the joists with some holes in the foil to let air flow between the foil and the floor above. The foil would lower the heat loss from the floor to the basement.

As an alternative, you might put 8' fin-tubes with 40 Btu/h-F of thermal conductance between L' joists on 16" centers with (T-90)40 = Lx16/12x10 and water temp T = 90+L/3 F and cost C = $12/L per square foot of floor. For instance, L = 24' makes T = 98 F and C = 50 cents/ft^2.

A basement with a suspended ceiling might have 8' fin-tubes below and perpendicular to the joists on W' centers, with T = 90+2W = 98 F and C = $2/W = 50 cents per square foot for W = 4'.

What's the cost of an equivalent PEX and heat spreader plate solution?

Floors are fairly good heat conductors. An 80 F R1 floor with an R1 airfilm resistance to 70 F room air above moves 10 Btu/h-ft^2, no? So it only needs 90 F air beneath. Here's a diagram:

80 F R1 | R1 T -----www-----*-----www----- 70 F

What's T? :-) 10 Btu/h-->

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

has detailed elevations, very revealing

The announcement that was widespread, that the whole city was going to fill to 10 -15' after the levee break, was wrong, but nobody seemed to be thinking clearly. The lake was at about 5' at the time, so only maybe 3 more feet max was going to come in. This lack of thinking may have hampered rescue efforts. Many areas were clearly not in danger .... from more flooding at least.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

that has an overhead pic with flooding, really large file though

It is surprising how much stayed dry. I used to lived by the lake for

15 years, I would have been fine, it is land that was dredged from the lake. Still, so many houses will need new guts, at least. Some friends in older homes, the main level was up 6 to 8 feet. Many friends are under water to the gutters. Really sad, but the pic made me feel better, actually, except for the shear number of homes in water. Not like the surge type damage in MS tho'.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

There was at least one plan. I cannot reach the sites I found on Google, though.

Some people who lived in the area say the public is informed of the danger every year when the hurricanes start. What do you suggest? Strap people down and put megaphones against each ear and blast the info into their heads at a million watts?

The person who was supposed to set the evacuation plan in motion was Mayor C. Ray Nagin. He dropped the ball. His backup was Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, she dropped the ball.

Bush suggested they start evacuating.

They refused.

Bush requested they start evacuating.

They refused.

Bush begged them to start evacuating.

Finally, they started. Too late.

FEMA? They fill a role something like a building contractor. They have to be called in by the people authorized to call them in. That's the Mayor and the Governor. The President can put them to work, but he is supposed to let the people on the spot handle the problem as they are in the best position to know what needs to be done.

The National Guard, is under the control of the Governor, unless the NG is called up by the feds. The Governor did nothing. The Governor and the Mayor actually blocked emergency procedures.

The Democrats, the News Media, the Governor, and the Mayor are trying to deflect blame on Bush and FEMA.

Reply to
Offbreed

There's a valuable clue you can look at to judge whether that statement is valid: Are there any levees in the area? The presence of levees indicates a flood control issue. You may notice that levees are not built in the desert too often. They're not built all over the country, especially where they're not needed. I grew up in Louisiana, within about 100 feet of a levee, so I'm used to seeing them around. Louisiana has LOTS of levees, which indicates to me they have a rather large flood control problem. If you want some idea of the problem they are fighting, you might want to read John McPhee's book, The Control of Nature. (snip)

I don't much care for snow either. That's why I didn't move to an area which gets much snow. Arkansas was about as far north as I cared to go. (snip)

Reply to
The Watcher

I think everyone knows that the City of New Orleans is bankrupt. It won't be paying any bills any time soon.

I heard the mayor of Baton Rouge on the radio saying that the population of Baton Rouge was going to double or triple in the next 30 days. With winter coming, I don't know how they will manage to provide shelter for that many people.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Turtle,

I was wondering if you were OK. I don't know exactly where you are in LA, but I was hoping that you didn't get hit by this. Glad to hear from you.

Having lived in NO for a couple of years back in the 70s, this has been pretty personal. The first refugees have arrived here in Austin last night. I am currently under the weather, but intend to go down and serve as a volunteer as soon as I am well.

Hoping that you and yours are doing well and hoping for the best for the southeast, Miss. and Alabama.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Anyone who *DID* compile an arsenal of weapons, water, and toilet paper (and presumeably, food) probably didn't die in NO because of the flood.

Reply to
Goedjn