Nobody was listening.

Page 5 of 16  
Christina Peterson wrote:

I think I love you...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Really? How many times have you been arrested to date?
rusty redcloud
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Exactly zero. But I've been a firefighter and EMT for a dozen or so years. Did you have a point?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You have direct experience of rescuing people in a city flooded by 80% for 5 days after a hurricane hit and a levee broke? I salute your effort.
There weren't enough of firemen/ems/police to do all of the rescuing obviously.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

No, I have direct personal experience being a firefighter and EMT for a dozen years. I can't imagine how you possibly could have read what I wrote and deduced that I'm responding in NOLA for this event.

No shit? The area affected is the size of the entire British Isles. It's a BIG FREAKING PROBLEM. Made worse by criminals who are rightfully being shot.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Then how could you possibly know how to rescue people given the circumstances and lack of manpower?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Farting Directly Right at us wrote:

Are you like in the 6th grade or something?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote in message

No, I'm not in your classroom.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FDR wrote:

No. I would've sent you to the principal's office days ago you loud mouth fool.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You're not actually for real, are you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Could you be Donald H. Rumsfeld?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I don't think that letting people have free access to firearm stores during an emergency is a good idea. It's obviously bad.
My point which I made several times and a 5 layers up is that people here are talking about shooting a guy stealing a tv set. We may disagree about what effect that has on rescue; I see no real threat to the rescue operation other than pulling people off of rescue duty to go arrest a shoplifter. I don't think that's how resources should be used considering theat the tv is expendable, possibly damaged and covered by insurance anyway. So why bother with a nusance type crime when there are real people dying? Do you think it's better off that you play cop and robber, or play rescuer? The feds tell us that disaster management is a local thing and there's only so many police to coever a large disaster.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FDR wrote:

....
No, not <a> guy, widespread looting and other mayhem.
Letting such behavior go will and does interfere w/ rescue & recovery because it begets yet further lawlessness and even worse behavior.
As Barney so aptly put it--"Andy, ya' just got ta' nip it! Nip it in the bud!"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Followed by "Andy, gimme my bullet!"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Ah, there's the problem. You have _good_ people, and you have _bad_ people. Do you acknowledge that difference?
Good people with guns don't threaten anyone but bad people. By definition. Bad people with guns, threaten everybody.

As if that's all he's stealing? But yes, he's stealing a TV set. He is exploiting society at a time when it's most vunlerable. He's a _bad person_.

Because that looter is causing civil disorder, which is a bigger threat than you understand in an emergency.

Oddly enough, once the "shoot to kill" order went out, looting decreased dramatically and almost immediately. Do you not see how that improved matters?
If I owned a house in NO, and a looter came in, I _would_ shoot to kill, no question about it. He's likely to be armed and to be prepared to shoot the people he's "just trying to steal stuff" from. You, on the other hand, say "I don't think that letting people have free access to firearm stores during an emergency is a good idea. It's obviously bad."
In other words, you value the criminal's life over my right to defend myself and my family. Says a lot about where your priorities are.
Whose side are you on, exactly?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Good people don't kill people stealing tv's. Bad people steal tv's but don't necessarily mean they are murders too.

There's no scorecard that says who's good and who's bad. Cops can be bad guys too. There were some looting if you recall.

Yes he is. And hes stupic because he can't keep his tv when he's been evacuated to Houston.

Hey, there were j walkers too. J walking leads to more lawlessness and you gotta nip it in the bud, right? Were they ticketing j walkers?

I have no evidence to say that happened. Do you?

Who says I was talking about looting a house. All my points have been about stores that had been abandoned.
But if the looter was armed and entering my house I have no problem saying I would defend myself and my family. I have a firearm to do so. Maybe you just don't get the point I was trying to make.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The really sad part is that it took him almost an hour to come up with this.
> Fucking Dopey Replies wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

When their actions are causing resources to be diverted from the rescue effort, then they _are_ causing deaths. You seem to want to blame the cop; I choose to blame the, you know, criminal.

Bullshit. Absolute, complete, unmitigated bullshit. A person decides if they want to be a criminal or not. Good people don't decide to be criminals.

At this point, I'm sure that I can't trust any of your claims. But, oh, go ahead, please provide a cite.

And, his actions are diverting efforts from rescue to law enforcement. Therefore he is a hazard to life and needs to be responded to appropriately.

Nice red herring there. Are you contending now that j-walking laws were being inforced, which detracted from the rescue efforts? Please provide a cite for such a claim.

And yet, you sure seem to pretend you do.

This is the first time you've stipulated that these were abandoned stores. Gosh, imagine that, your point shifts _yet again_.

Somehow I don't think you're actually the sort who would defend yourself effectively from an intruder. You strike me as the sort who, instead, would "give the nice man what he wants and maybe he won't hurt us". A victim, in other words.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dave Hinz wrote:

He strikes me as the type who would gladly give up his butt to an intruder, as his old lady gleefully looks on...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Ah, there's the problem.&nbsp; You have _good_ people, and you have _bad_<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; people.&nbsp; Do you acknowledge that difference?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Good people don't kill&nbsp; people stealing tv's.&nbsp; Bad people steal tv's but <BR>&gt;&gt; don't necessarily mean they are murders too.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; When their actions are causing resources to be diverted from the rescue<BR>&gt; effort, then they _are_ causing deaths.&nbsp; You seem to want to blame the<BR>&gt; cop; I choose to blame the, you know, criminal.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Good people with guns don't threaten anyone but bad people.&nbsp; By<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; definition.&nbsp; Bad people with guns, threaten everybody.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; There's no scorecard that says who's good and who's bad.&nbsp; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Bullshit.&nbsp; Absolute, complete, unmitigated bullshit.&nbsp; A person decides<BR>&gt; if they want to be a criminal or not.&nbsp; Good people don't decide to be<BR>&gt; criminals.<BR></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>So a criminal is a criminal before he commits a crime.&nbsp; Is that what you are trying to say?&nbsp; And you will never ever ever do anything bad, because you're a good guy.&nbsp; You'll neve resort to let's say murdering your wife if you caught her in bed with your best friend. You can be absolutely sure huh?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Cops can be bad guys too.&nbsp; There were some looting if you recall.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; At this point, I'm sure that I can't trust any of your claims.&nbsp;&nbsp; But,<BR>&gt; oh, go ahead, please provide a cite.<BR></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Well, I can't wade through&nbsp;10 days and thousands of Katrina stories.&nbsp; But witnesess on the second day said they saw police joinig in on looting a WalMart.&nbsp; Either way, there have been plenty of police in other situations that have been found guilty of extortion and other crimes.&nbsp; They are supposed to be good guys.&nbsp; But according to you they chose to be bad, so how are we so sure that they will remain good or go bad?</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; As if that's all he's stealing?&nbsp; But yes, he's stealing a TV set.&nbsp; He is<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; exploiting society at a time when it's most vunlerable.&nbsp; He's a _bad<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; person_.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Yes he is. And hes stupic because he can't keep his tv when he's been <BR>&gt;&gt; evacuated to Houston.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; And, his actions are diverting efforts from rescue to law enforcement.<BR>&gt; Therefore he is a hazard to life and needs to be responded to<BR>&gt; appropriately.<BR></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Only if you allow your efforts to be diverted.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Because that looter is causing civil disorder, which is a bigger threat<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; than you understand in an emergency.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Hey, there were j walkers too.&nbsp; J walking leads to more lawlessness and you <BR>&gt;&gt; gotta nip it in the bud, right?&nbsp; Were they ticketing j walkers?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Nice red herring there.&nbsp; Are you contending now that j-walking laws were<BR>&gt; being inforced, which detracted from the rescue efforts?&nbsp; Please provide<BR>&gt; a cite for such a claim.<BR></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>No they weren't being enforced.&nbsp; Adn that's exactly it.&nbsp; If we follow the logic of nipping it in the bud, then geez, jwalking is a crime, and stealing food is a crime too.&nbsp; If stealing food is a crime, then those who did it might get the idea they can taken anything else they wanted.&nbsp; So go and arrest those stealers too.&nbsp; Nip it in the bud.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Do you think<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; it's better off that you play cop and robber, or play rescuer?&nbsp; The feds<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; tell us that disaster management is a local thing and there's only so <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; many<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; police to coever a large disaster.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Oddly enough, once the "shoot to kill" order went out, looting decreased<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; dramatically and almost immediately.&nbsp; Do you not see how that improved<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; matters?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; I have no evidence to say that happened.&nbsp; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; And yet, you sure seem to pretend you do.<BR></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I meant, you provided no evidence to support that claim.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; If I owned a house in NO, and a looter came in, I _would_ shoot to kill,<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; no question about it.&nbsp; He's likely to be armed and to be prepared to<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; shoot the people he's "just trying to steal stuff" from.&nbsp; You, on the<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; other hand, say "I don't think that letting people have free access to<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; firearm stores during an emergency is a good idea.&nbsp; It's obviously bad."<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; In other words, you value the criminal's life over my right to defend<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; myself and my family.&nbsp; Says a lot about where your priorities are.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Whose side are you on, exactly?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Who says I was talking about looting a house.&nbsp; All my points have been about <BR>&gt;&gt; stores that had been abandoned.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; This is the first time you've stipulated that these were abandoned<BR>&gt; stores.&nbsp; Gosh, imagine that, your point shifts _yet again_.<BR></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Uhm no.&nbsp; Go back and read what I said.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; But if the looter was armed and entering my house I have no problem saying I <BR>&gt;&gt; would defend myself and my family.&nbsp; I have a firearm to do so.&nbsp; Maybe you <BR>&gt;&gt; just don't get the point I was trying to make. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Somehow I don't think you're actually the sort who would defend yourself<BR>&gt; effectively from an intruder.&nbsp; You strike me as the sort who, instead,<BR>&gt; would "give the nice man what he wants and maybe he won't hurt us".<BR>&gt; A victim, in other words.<BR><BR>You wouldn't have the balls to find out.</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.