Nobody was listening.

Page 13 of 16
Fucking Dopey Replies wrote:

There it is again folks...
FDR wrote:

Then you decide whether it looks like he's carrying booty or on legitimate business...also most likely also not at all hard to discern.

But you'd be justified in shooting him because he just looked suspicious. Talk about anarchy. Looting is wrong, so vigilantes will restore order by acting nutty and shooting everything suspicious looking. Oh yeah, that makes everything so much better and safer. Two wrongs make a right? How stupid.
FDR wrote:

If you want to talk of specifics, it would be highly unlikely necessary at the individual level in a residential area. The situation under discussion was the case of rampant, large-scale looting of businesses.

Someone that thinks they can take the law into their own hands won't just stop at shooting the WalMart looters, he'll also go shoot anyone else that's suspicious. And I bet the suspicious ones are going to all be black.
Fucking Dopey Replies wrote:

There's another classic reply.
FDR wrote:

The proposed shooters under discussion here were commissioned police officers...
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Duane,
You're debating with a tree stump.
G Henslee wrote:

I don't think FDR is that far advanced in his debating skills... :)

No one has shown why lawlessness has to be met with lawlessness.
FDR wrote:

The discussion is on imposing <martial> law in an emergency situation in order to preserve order for the larger good and to enable restoration of civil law.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

This:
http://instapundit.com/images/kerrydukakis.jpg
is FDR's idea of martial law.

Wow! There are some knowledgeable people here. You actually know how to spell 'martial' correctly.
HeatMan wrote:

Yup, and, I once met the Marshall at Dodge City Days (where they're having the 50th Gunsmoke Reunion real soon now...) :)

Was martial law ever declared? Were there enough officers to enforce it?
Fucking Dumbass Replier wrote:

Not yet. It's still being debated in alt.home.repair

Martial law does not needs to be enforced. Martial isn't created by the declaration, it is recognized.
What the declaration does is free the people who would normally be constrained by normal rules of engagement to use ROE appropriate to a situation where civilization has (temporarily) collapsed.

So you don't know the answer.

Donkeys are no better either.

I thought the ones under question were citizens doing their civic duty to shoot looters. But after 50 posts I guess there's no way to tell.