Nobody was listening.

Page 12 of 16

There ya go, dude... Trot out the "debating technique" I believe is properly called "ad absurdium" - Dream up the most outlandish possible exception to whatever statement has been made in an attempt to ridicule it. Sorry, bub, I don't play that game.

Bubba, I value life. *MINE*. Your life, or another's, is of zero value to me unless it somehow improves my chances of retaining mine. IT's that simple.

And rightly so. As you said yourself, life (human or otherwise) is cheap. Dirt cheap. This planet is lousy with life, from deepest ocean trench, to highest mountaintop, and beyond. And you kow what? The *ONLY* "particle" of life on this planet that has any intrinsic value in my eyes is my own. The rest of it is disposable.
And any being who isn't intent on ignoring reality will recognize that as a universal truth - "My life is more important than yours when it comes to choosing between thee and me being the one whose life is to end."

Religion is for the mentally deficient who desperately need a way to make themselves feel as if they are something special in the big picture that is reality. Free hint: You (and I, and every other bit of life that exists) are a fleeting bit of nothing in the cosmos. You will have your moment, and you will pass, opening space for the next to come along. In other words, for a while, you live, and after a while, you die. Regardless of how long or short that "while" happens to be, the cosmos doesn't care, for the simple fact that you are an irrelevant speck amongst uncountable other irrelevant specks. Get over it and make the best of what time you've got.
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Short form: I\'m trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn\'t contain a password in the

Ah, excuse me, but that's bullshit. It's not hard to identify someone who is looting. And when the society is at the point where criminals are interfering with survival of the good people, the criminals are free to decide that stuff is worth more than their life.

Under normal circumstances, that's absolutely correct. If you actually were a cop of some sort, you would have been trained quite completely in the whole "escalation of force" process, and it's odd that someone who allegely was some sort of a cop whould even make the statement you just did.

They're not innocent once they decide to exploit an emergency for personal greed.

Wow. Pick a point, dude, and try to stick with it.
Dave Hinz wrote:

"...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;"

--
"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything.
I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency.

If the legislature has enacted a law specifiying that looters be shot on sight... that *is* "due process".
--
Regards,

stability and creating lawlessness and threatening others, but vigilantes going around taking law into their own hands isn't?
The logic here is overwhlemingly stupid. Yeah, those guys are bad so we'll act just as bad. Animals have better morality.

I don't remember anyone suggesting that vigilantes should do that; certainly *I* didn't suggest that. The only discussions that I've seen on the subject were in reference to the *police* shooting looters. Maybe you've seen some posts I haven't; I have plonked some of the more rabid loonies around here...
--
Regards,

Well, there are the loonies around here saying that it's a-ok to shoot looters.

Fucking Dopey Replies wrote:

You are an incredibly boring fuck. Quit crossposting to ahr, asswipe.

Innocent people are the ones trapped in floodwaters, drowning or otherwise in peril in other parts of the city, while your cops are busy arresting looters. You tell me the logic there.

Fucking Dopey Replies wrote:

Would that you were in an attic in N.O. right now big mouth. Definately a missed oppurtunity for further gene pool cleanup...

At risk of repeating myself: Bullets and body-bags are cheap...
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Short form: I\'m trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn\'t contain a password in the
Per Don Bruder:

I don't have much problem with looters being shot on sight.
But it has to be done by the book - by people who are trained, accountable, sane, and sober. Even then, the bottom line is that you've given the power of life and death to a bunch of 19-20 year old kids.
I'd think that serious problems would arise when you give too many guns and too much authority to too many untrained/unaccountable people.
I can easily visualize a bunch of people with a vigilante mentality deputized to become as much of a problem as looters.
For an example, I'd go back to Fort Lauderdale way back in the sixties in the spring following the release of the film "Where The Boys Are".
As we drove northwards from Florida, the newspaper accounts of the "riots" in that town seemed to get more and more lurid. I was there - for three days - and all I could see of note were thousands of college-age kids milling around because they were banned from the beach after sunset and gangs of local rednecks (deputized, I'd guess) running down and beating up unarmed, totally inoffensive kids - myself included.
You didn't have to be doing anything wrong - just walking down the street. Somebody'd yell something unintelligible at you, you'd say "huh?", and five guys would have you on the ground.
If those guys had guns I can imagine how it might have gone...
--
PeteCresswell

So? If you're not a looter, or presenting the impression that you are one thorugh your actions, then you don't need to worry about being shot at by anyone, regardless of their age, do you?
The law of the land should be quite clear and easy to understand: You loot, we shoot.
How hard is that to grasp?
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Short form: I\'m trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn\'t contain a password in the

In time of hardship and difficult situation people will do anything. Do you shoot or condemn anyone who cannibalize?
Dave Jefford wrote:

Oh yes. Well listen genius, I'm going through a hard and difficult situation right now. Please provide me with your address so I can come over, kick you in the balls, stomp on your pointy head, rape your wife and daughters and then take your television.
On second thought, I have no need of a 13" black and white...

A true neo-con showing his color.
Dave Jefford wrote:

Well yeah. They're easier to get into the stew pot that way.
- New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21,

FDR wrote: ....

Pretty easy to tell a house from a store...

What if the guy is walking near his home? The vigilante thinks the guy is bringing the loot home to the guys house. Or thinks he looted his neighbors house. Shoots him. Does that make Mr. Vigilante Guy happy?