Nobody was listening.

How far from you is the nearest nuclear plant? Were you born such a moron or did you train to become one?

Reply to
Dumbo

Very interesting reading Larry.

I'm sure for those that have ever had the opportunity to travel through those wetlands by boat ( big or small ) it must have been an interesting journey.

Reply to
Shiver

I'm not looking to avoid all and every catastrophe, but I do try to get out of the way of the really obvious ones. The way to do that is pretty easy. Don't play on the highway. Don't live in an OBVIOUS flood-prone area(especially one that experiences hurricanes). Stay away from earthquake faults. Others are pretty obvious to rational people.

Reply to
The Watcher

No, I wasn't making a comparison. Rather, saying that there is no place in the eastern US (which the last time I looked, includes part of the south) is safe from natural disaster of one type or another. I used the snow storm example because it hadn't been mentioned yet.

Not all hurricanes kill many and the cost doesn't necessarily reflect the severity. The cost depends on the value of the buildings it takes out.

Reply to
Ann

According to the report, it was in the top 3 disasters considered by FEMA. It wasn't every catastrophe, but a very important one. The point is that planning and preperation are important. Sure, maybe you can't save the city, but you can try and save the people.

Reply to
FDR

We should build the ports inland where they will be safer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Interesting subject. A quick search yielded these two sites:

"Nonetheless, between 1730 and 1986, more than 400 earthquakes for which location could be determined occurred in New York State. These earthquakes had a magnitude greater than about 2.0. During this period, New York State has had the third highest earthquake activity of states east of the Mississippi River. Only South Carolina and Tennessee have been more seismically active."

Reply to
Offbreed

Wow......

Just out of idle curiousity - Where do you thing they should relocate too....?????????

Reply to
Shiver

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:numSe.8181$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

well, if it didn't mean dredging shipping lanes in the delta, that really isn't a bad idea... there are inland ports on the Great Lakes, which are connected to the ocean by the St.Lawrence Seaway.

lee

Reply to
enigma

"Ann" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@epix.net:

huh? what natural disasters happen in the eastern US with any regularity? or matbe a better question would be to ask you to define "eastern US"? i live in NH currently. we rarely get hurricances, more rarely tornadoes. while Seabrook nuclear power plant is built on the only major fault line in NH or Mass, we haven't had a noticable earthquake in over 50 years. there is no geothermal activity (volcanoes). even Nor'Easters aren't common. no plagues of locusts lately (although were due for tent caterpillers again). it's generally too wet for a major forest fire & floods aren't common either... lee

Reply to
enigma

I sure wouldn't be able to tell where that was. I thought the whole city was below sea level.

Reply to
Offbreed

Where is God, is he sleeping? Maybe a Christian here will wake him up?

Reply to
Dave Jefford

HORSESHIT!

No matter how rich or poor, we all (Err... well, there are *SOME* unfortunate exceptions, but that's exactly what they are: exceptions) come equipped with two feet and can start walking and/or hitchhiking to get someplace else. Don't even *TRY* to give me the bullshit "They were too poor to leave" whine. The *ONLY* ones who can't leave anytime they want to bad enough are those with broken bodies, and those under restraint. (Thinking specifically of prison/jail inmates, though there may be the rare "other reason for being restrained" types) Everybody else, no matter how rich or poor, is free to come and go by whatever method happens to work, whether that means a private jet, a luxury motor home, a 20 year old, oil-belching Datsun clunker that calls making 35 MPH a damn fine run, a bicycle, or shank's mare.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Three words: New Madrid Fault

It's said that if it ever lets go, it'll make every quake ever recorded in California - *COMBINED* - Look like a 30 second session on a trampoline.

Reply to
Don Bruder

My God will protect me, as I pray every day. Even if a truck run over me, I can always call Benny Hines, Robert Tilton or Pat Robertson (after a big donation) I will be as good as before the accident!

Good Huh?

Reply to
Dave Jefford

Hi, Are you touching the wood? I am in Alberta. What natural disaster? No nuke plant. Provincial government is swimming in surplus budget. Don't even know what to do with all the money pouring in every day. As a centennial gift, they may drop health care premium for all, and lower the income tax. Only flaw is little cold winter weather but not much snow, no humidity. Just dry cold with clear blue sky. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

We call that the Alberta advantage.

Reply to
Shiver

This is Turtle

I don't need all this bandwide to explain New Orleans and how it got cought with it's draws down. When a Small bar owners can clear $1,000.00 a nite , a General contractor make good money fixing up falling down building, a Pan Handler can make him $500.00 a day coning visitors to the city with cons, and a good looking Hooker can clear about $2,000.00 a nite. WELL , Your not getting these people to leave work and loose that kind of money because of some stupid hurrican warning issued by the Mayor who we don't even know his name.

The same thing happen to Camereon , Louisiana back in 1957 when Audrew hit there. It kill 400+ but was extimated at about 600. I remember going down there after the storm in a 1957 Chevy of my grand fathers and they had cows hanging in the electric wires coming into the city. When there is a hurrican warning there now days . hey, They move their asses out of there. When they tell them to move out. They town is a ghost town in about 6 hours. they leave everything to flood insurance and move out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Ask the person who brought the subject up.

So would I, but because I prefer the climate.

Reply to
Ann

Yeah, I can see how you can compare a 100 billion dollar storm with thousands killed with a storm costing a few millions and "scores"

Hurricanes kill many and cost millions and millions every year in the south.

Reply to
FDR