No water supply - Help appreciated

Morning all,

I have a problem in my house this morning. I got up and turned on the cold tap, the water came out with a good pressure but it was spluttering and banging and the amount of water got worse until it was just a fine mist coming out, although the pressure seemed to be the same. I tried the hot tap and got the same. Same with both taps in the kitchen.

I've no idea about plumbing I'm afraid, but I can't understand how there is so much air coming out of the taps - when there is no water, there is a good pressure of air being forced out. We don't have a water tank. I believe the supply to all taps comes from the same source and comes through the boiler (perhaps only the hot water does?).

Anyway - I'd appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks a lot!

-- Stavros

-- Stavros Kawasaki ZXR400L2 UKRMStavrosREMOVE @ hotmail.com

Reply to
Gregor Spowart

Is this a WELL system or CITY water ?????

If city water, there may have been a main break or other work done overnight which has temporarily allowed air into the main. In that case, just leave taps open till air is gone. Or, call the utility.

If well water, you'd have to supply more info about the type of equipment.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim, it's city water from a main supply. I called the water company and they said they were doing work, but it was finished by the time I called. I think you're right about there still being air in the system though. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Gregor Spowart

Check your faucet aerators too. It is possible that besides air, you have sediment stirred up in the mains from higher than normal flow during the break. I notice the other day that I had air and murky water from what must have been a main break, and flushed it out until clear, then cleaned the aerators.

Reply to
David Efflandt