No water, how come?

Sometime last night between 1:30 AM and 5:30 AM our water (well) stopped.
I checked the breaker, NP; checked the pressure switch, no ants. I pushed the reset (start?) button on the control box at the well; it stayed pushed in but the pump didn't start. An hour or so later the pump started spontaneously.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened??
--

dadiOH

Not sure if it is the same as yours but sometimes the air pressure in the bladder of my pump gets too low and the pump runs until the motor gets too hot and shuts down. After an hour or two, the motor cools off and starts back up.
Usually I catch it before the motor shuts down when I turn the faucet on and have no water pressure at the tap. When I check the pump and find the motor is running hot, I shut it down at the breaker put some air pressure in the bladder and wait for a few hours to start it back up and it runs alright.
David
On 9/28/2010 11:20 AM, hibb wrote:

Maybe but if submersible, like mine was when failing, would cool rapidly since it is submersed in cold water. When it did cut out, I'd have to close the water inlet and hold the switch a few seconds to build back enough pressure.

Maybe it's not set up right or something but when there is not enough air in the bladder the pump will not bring up enough pressure in the tank to activate the shutoff valve so it just runs and runs. Putting more air in the bladder solves the problem every time.
Disclaimer: I don't know much about wells or pumps.
Is there any chance the water table is low where you live (drought) and the well temporarily ran dry and had to refill a bit?