No water going to icemaker

One year old Kitchen Aid side by side: We turn off house water when we leave for more than a day or so; last week we left for 4 days and had the water off. Now the icemaker in the fridge runs its solenoid wanting water but no water enters the unit. The icemaker seems to be operating normally, waiting the normal time between fills and blade rotations to exit ice but with no water there of course, there's no ice.
During the time we were gone, it must have been cycling over and over, as the bail wire had been left in the down position.
The door water works fine.
Does running the icemaker with no water pressure cause damage?
We've done this many times in the past and I don't recall any problems on returning and restoring water pressure to the house. It acts like something may be frozen up perhaps?
Any ideas or suggestions? Besides 'you moron, don't turn off the water when you leave'...
Thanks,
eno

Causes the tube at the vale to freeze.
It allows the water near the valve to freeze up. You may be able to just remove the tube on the inside and thaw it out. Just reach in and you can pull the tube off as it slides on. There is probably a slug of ice right at the end.

Lift the wire bail so it does not cycle. You may have left with a full hopper before so it was not a problem.
snipped-for-privacy@pdxconnect.com wrote:

Hi,
It can...no so much to the icemaker itself but can damage the fill valve. 1/2 of the fill valve is for the chilled water and other 1/2 is for the icemaker. Lift the icemaker arm up into the off position when ever the water is turned off.

Fill tube/spout might be frozen over....some common "not filling" trouble makers... http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker.html#water
Water solenoids often have two valves -- water, and ice side. Yours may have a defective ice side valve, or it might have been leaking and clogged the fill tube with ice.
I saw that once, where the ice side valve was slow leaking, and the fill tube froze. The fill tube is about 1/2 inch diameter, and goes through the back wall of the freezer. From the 1/4 plastic tube, and terminates over the ice machine.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus