No Water From Well

Page 1 of 2
Last night as soon as I was all soaped up in the shower the water stopped. Not really asking any questions, I've troubleshooted it to the pump, power going down and I hear a hum but no water, not even after it sat turned off for 8 hours. I think it's about 700' down so it takes a small crane to pull it. They are coming out on a Saturday and wanted to remind me that the rate is higher on Saturdays. Damn I like this small company... $75/hour on weekends. $60/hour weekdays. And I believe that is with TWO men! They were out here 4 or so years ago during the week fixing some lightning fried wires at $60/hour with 2 men.
Wish me luck. I guess I'm already lucky with 2 skilled men for $75/hour.

Let us know what they find.
On 1/29/2011 1:53 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

Mine went out a few weeks ago. Motor going bad, drew too much current and would shut off if high demand. Fortunately I could get enough water to see through weekend. Pump and motor warranty were separate so it did not cost an arm and a leg - just an arm ;)
Frank wrote:

So how many years did it last to just give me an idea how long to expect mine to last.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty

My well guy said to expect 10 years, if you are lucky 20 years.
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:26:52 -0700, Robert Neville wrote:

I'm lucky in having a surface-mounted jet pump, I suppose. Motor was manufactured in 1977 - not sure if the pump is as old, but I know the well was put in sometime around 1985 (may have been '86) so I assume it's got a fair few hours on the clock, too.
I really should to add some lube to the bearings (no idea when it was last done; we've only been here three years) but the wick's missing from the little oil filler at the motor's tail end - anyone know if I can just drop a couple of drops of oil down the hole and call it good? It's not obvious how to lube the front bearing of the motor, either - there's no obvious oiling point on the motor itself, but there is a tiny brass screw on the attached pump casing - perhaps this hides an oil passage down to the bearing (or alternatively maybe I'll remove it and get water shooting into my face ;-)
cheers
Jules
On 1/29/2011 4:16 PM, LSMFT wrote:

I've been here 35 years and this is the third time well has needed work but, original pump lasted ~ 25 years, replacement lasted about 7 years and its only been little over 3 years til this incident. Also during time period, I had to replace pressure tank twice. In spite of these costs, well has probably been cheaper than municipal water if available.
Other poster mentioned 10 years and from my experience and observation of neighbors, I'd say, that's about right.
For op, our development on one acre lots, has houses close enough to run hose from outdoor faucet to outdoor faucet for water when well has problem.
On 1/29/2011 6:36 PM, Frank wrote:

As a kid we did that for our neighbor once. Just guessing at the distance here... maybe 800 to 1200 feet? I'm sure I'd get good pressure because they are about 100' above me! Anyway, it's all fixed now, about 18 hours down time isn't bad since it's just me and I have keys to my girlfriends house if I needed to finish my shower.

Did they really only charge $75 per hour for their time, and 2 persons total for the $75?

My parents had a deep well with the pump in the basement. When it went bad my father would go to the hardware store, buy a new pump and install it himself. Although his foot valve (one way valve) was under the driveway and had to have that replace a couple of times. There is no reason not to have the one way valve in the basement too. When mine goes bad I'm changing it over to have the pump and foot valve in the basement. That way I don't have to hire two people at $75 an hour to bring up a pump and replace it. Technology is supposed to make your life easier, not more difficult. Can anybody think of an advantage of putting a pump in the bottom of a well with 400 feet of wire to run it?
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
?

Foot valve not at the foot? How is the pump going to prime?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Priming is no problem, it's holding the prime which is what a one way valve does. Otherwise you'd have to prime it every time it starts if air leaked in and let the water fall back down the well.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
LSMFT wrote:

Ignore me, I just got re-educated.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
LSMFT wrote:

The basement located jet pumps aren't very popular these days, just for some relatively shallow wells. Submersible pumps are preferred in most cases. With a submersible pump you only need one down pipe in the well, they are silent since the pump is 100'+ underground, and they don't have priming of cavitation issues generally. The motors are also liquid cooled, so they tend to be higher performance as well.
LSMFT wrote:

One advantage of a pump at the bottom is that it works. If a pump at the top puts a perfect vacuum on the pipe down the well you can only get the water to lift 32 feet - a little sort of the 400 ft required. You can use a jet pump, with 2 pipes down the well and the jet at the bottom. You can put the pump at the bottom with a 400 foot shaft to a motor on the top. Or you can use a submersible pump that pumps the water 400 feet up from the bottom.
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

You can lift water more than 32 feet once the pump is primed and all the air is out of the pipe.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
LSMFT wrote:

Ignore me.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
LSMFT wrote:

Yep. You will pull a vacuum when de distance becomes greater than 10 meters(~12 yards). Or you need a 400 feet pump piston going up/down.
On 1/29/2011 11:23 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Yes, sort of. The 2nd man was about an hour late. The bill shows 3 hours labor at $75/hour, total labor $225. There was actually a total of almost 6 man hours, not counting the time to go back to the shop and get a different pump then what they brought.

That's a great company to recommend to others.