no volume contol

my volume conrol is in the gray area and it says i have no mixing device so i cant listen to any music on my computer i need serious help.

Reply to
meggowatt16

might help to post to a more appropriate newsgroup?

try: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Google XP sound problems?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

How do we know its xp? Could be 3.1, 95, 98SE, ME, 2000, Dos,

Reply to
ephedralover

If the OP was using XP, then that was a good suggestion. If the OP was not using XP, then it might have suggested where to try next.

Do you always criticize advice, but not offer anything better?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I was being sarcastic and funny. It looks like I bombed on both accounts.

Reply to
ephedralover

If this is your "home" computer I guess it is OK Look in the control panel and be sure the sound card is installed and working. Then try the properties on the options tab of the volume control screen

Reply to
gfretwell

Hmmm, Mute is on?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Go to Control Panel, Multimedia, Audio tab and look in the "Playback" section. It will show you the "Preferred device" (which apparently isn't working). There is a drop down window there showing you other devices you can use...there may be none but if there are try selecting another and see if things work now. If not or if there are no alternative devices look in "Audio Devices" on the "Device" tab. Select the device and check its properties to be sure it is enabled.

If still no joy, you need to reinstall your sound card driver(s).

Go to Device manager (Win key + Pause/Break) in the appropriate section (probably "Sound, video and gaming controllers"). Do any have a yellow exclamation mark? If so, that is faulty.

Select (highlight) the proper entry, remove it and reboot. Windows will locate a new device when you reboot and install the correct driver...if it is a 3rd party sound card you'll need the installation CD; if it is a Windows driver, you'll probably need your Windows installation CD.

Reply to
dadiOH