No vent hood over island range?

I've seen houses with an island kitchen that has a range built into the island but I don't see a vent hood over it. Why does a range suddenly not need a vent if it's in an island?
Don't these things vent from the bottom? Frank
red wrote:

Might have a downdraft vent that disappears when stove not in use.
red wrote:

While I want mine vented, I lived a long time in homes where there was no vent and survived. However it was hotter in the summer and there was more grease build up all around.
Many of the ranges designed for a an island (bad place to put on in my opinion) are designed with as down flow vent.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Yeah, I've never understood that... Why is the stove on an inside wall, and the sink against a window, instead of the other way around?

Depends on the room, sometimes there is no choice. You don't want the stove in front of a window.

Some of it is fashion. So folks can do the Beni Hana thing in front of their guests. Or really, so that they can cook and talk with others in the house, family, guests.
Takes more plumbing, maybe there's more opportunity for accidental fires.
Banty (galley kitchen, no such opportunity)
Goedjn ( snipped-for-privacy@mail.uri.edu) said...

Islands can be a problem for venting a sink in some circumstances, but don't have to be.
Having a stove or cooktop on an outside wall makes more sense as its hood can vent directly to the outside with the minimum amount of ducting.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Millions of homes have no vents on the range no matter where they are placed. Nice to have, but not a necessity. Ed http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, Not a necessity? Where all the cooking smell go then? I always had hood vented outside no matter where the range is located. Tony

Good for you. I've lived in a few houses that did not have one and it is not a big deal. In the summer, the windows take care of most of it. If you are cooking good food, the odor is considered aromatherapy.
Tony Hwang wrote:

If you had even lived in a NYC apartment you would know they go into everyone else's apartments.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I agree with ya, but lots of homes were built without em. Mine from 1970 in Chicagoland was no exception.
I didn't care for the lingering smell issue and had a 10" round ceiling utility fan instgalled with some beefy ductwork out to a roof cap. It works a lot better than some of the half assed ducted hoods I've seen.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
On 07 Dec 2005 18:51:03 -0600 snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

You can also get ranges with side or downdraft vents. I have the downdraft kind myself. In between the burners is the vent, which draws air down. Not nearly as good as overhead, but it's something.
Lots of the sidedraft kinds are invisible. The vent pops up when you are cooking.
-frank
Frank Cusack wrote:

Also many of the range hoods installed just vent back into the room, and unlike many of us that know better, be supprised how many people do not realize that their hood does not vent to the outside when I show them.
Edwin Pawlowski ( snipped-for-privacy@snet.net) said...

Not in our jurisdiction! For new construction, a range hood is a requirement before an occupancy permit can be issued (of course, there is no need to have a range under that hood!).
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
red wrote:

It's a smokeless range, smoke is pulled back into the unit, reburnt for as long as it is on. True.