No more auto GPS (as we've come to know it)

Page 1 of 4
"Last month, the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency published a dense document with guidelines for automakers on how to minimize the distractions caused by in-vehicle electronics. Buried among equations for determining optimal display viewing angles and testing procedures is the recommendation that navigation devices should only show static or near-static images, which would essentially eliminate their usefulness. "
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57401786-48/fed-driver-distraction-guidelines-make-navigation-unusable /
But if it saves one child's life...
On the other hand, I can still use my GPS to get to the fridge.
On 3/26/2012 6:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57401786-48/fed-driver-distraction-guidelines-make-navigation-unusable /
We could virtually eliminate child deaths due to car accidents by restricting cars to areas outside the city limits.
If you needed to have your car in the city, you'd have to disconnect the battery to eliminate distraction and push it to your destination. A small price to pay to eliminate child deaths.

I gotta hit the road.

I'd think there should be solutions not so draconian.
Circuit that disables it if vehicle in motion? After all, if you want to find a place, you don't need to do it while driving.
Audio only while vehicle in motion? That would still let you follow direction.\\
Harry K
HeyBub wrote:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57401786-48/fed-driver-distraction-guidelines-make-navigation-unusable /
Up here we have anti-distraction law while driving. You don't mess with GPS, Cell phone, reading map, doing make up, drinking coffee,etc. will cause a ticket and 175.00 fine first time. Also you can't smoke in a car when kids are on board. For that it is 1000.00 ticket.
On 3/26/2012 10:36 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

i would go for all that. totally unenforceable, but i'd go for it. where is "up here" ?
--
Steve Barker

It's called failure to pay full time and attention to driving, and it's already on the books. They just need to enforce it, and don't know why they didn't when the cells first came out.
Steve
.

so where are you from?
the news today said they are looking at a law to prohibit women from wearing heels while driving.
i heard a accident years ago the driver blamed their heels
there should be a law against smoking anywhere around a kid including your own home.
its pure child abuse and should be treated that way

Usta be like that, here. NO TVs within the driver's view. Slowly, but surely, the creep began. Digital compasses, GPS, cellphones, digital audio dashboards, etc. The fact police cars have what amounts to netbooks and govt services (fire, police, etc) can talk on radio, only muddied the water. These laws are useless. I once witnessed a commuter reading a dead-tree book while driving. The book was on the seat next to the driver!! Bottom line, every time you drive, you risk dying.
nb
--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Hmm. I was thinking about purchasing a new GPS to replace my ~ 5 year old unit, simply because it's cool. Now I'm going to be watching this issue more closely so that if this looks like it's really going to happen I can purchase a useful GPS unit before they are no longer available.
I'd like to think that this is an April Fool's joke a few days early, but then again, we are talking about the Agency of Joan Claybrook...
nate

Buying a "useful GPS" might work for a while, but who knows what will happen when you try to update the maps.
It may be that the map update will not install/work unless the firmware is also updated, bringing the "usefulness" of the GPS down to the current legal level.
On Monday, March 26, 2012 12:04:02 PM UTC-4, N8N wrote:

I dunno about that. I was programming my GPS the other day to find out how much longer it would take to get to my destination.
Thought to myself, "How is this different from texting or dialing a cell phone?"
For the life of me I cannot see why two are "distracted driving" and one, isn't.

You can use a GPS pretty safely if mount it where you can see it, use the audio mode (which I wish was able to mute the stereo, give the report and unmute the stereo) and don't touch it when you're actually driving. Anything can be dangerous - a Big Mac, a PC, a radio, a DVD player, the morning crossword puzzle, makeup, beard trimming, etc. The truckers of America recently lost a round, IIRC, concerning using trip management "systems" (GPSs on steroids) while driving. There's all sorts of well-vetted test data that shows when people concentrate on a task inside the vehicle their awareness of the environment outside the vehicle plummets.
I was fussing with my pocket tape recorder while driving my nearly new car when I saw that a metal plate in the roadway had shifted and there was a 3' by 16' hole in the roadway. While I may have been going fast enough to just "ride over it" a recent Mythbusters I saw about the bus in "Speed" leads me to believe I would have destroyed the front end of the car if the lane next to me had been blocked. That incident led me to an overcautious state of mind where I don't even turn my cell phone on while in the car to avoid temptation. It's plain to see when driving down the Beltway that a lot of people are barely paying attention to the road ahead of them. They don't realize that the fractions of a second it takes them to "task switch" are the fractions of a second where an accident *might* be avoided.
I'd like to set up a camera in the rear window so I could I drove ahead of a "look down" driver and let a few big garbage bags out the window. It would probably give them a heart-attack. I can remember the feeling I had when large objects from other lanes were suddenly got knocked hard into my lane. Beds, ladders, a hand truck, tires, tables, an easy chair and something else I'm forgetting - yes, a large chunk of thick ice off a car roof - have all come at me while doing 65 mph on the highway.
I've played a lot of video games but none matched the thrill of trying to evade the huge metal handtruck that blew off a Coca Cola truck. For a while it's still traveling along pretty quickly from the momentum. For a while. Thick rubber tires can really bounce around, too. I was driving on the Verazzano Bridge plaza when a truck full of truck tires lost the rear gate and squadron of tires began flying through the gaps in the traffic.
-- Bobby G.

I drove over a extension ladder recently. boy was I surprised....
saw a sprite truck open up and dump many many cubes of sprite all over the road. geez did those bottles spray big time.
On 3/27/2012 4:14 PM, bob haller wrote:

I was driving through Malfunction Junction in downtown Birmingham some years ago when I caught a movement in the lane next to me and it was a big towed Ingersoll Rand air compressor that was loose and the tongue dug into the pavement so the compressor was flipping end over end at 60MPH. The next day, state highway department crews were out repairing divots that had been ripped out of the freeway. o_O
TDD

Ouch! My Italian NYC cousin got hit head on by a towed car that had broken free and slammed into her as they went through an underpass together on opposites sides of the road. Another friend has a picture I should post of some huge truck axle segment that came up through the passenger floor of his Acura and probably would have gelded any guy sitting there.
Some of my closest encounters with the Great Beyond have concerned trailers of one kind or another. There's the "Tale of the Singing Tow Cable" and "Rock and Roll Until You Roll Over." The problem is that U-Haul rents trailers to young adults. (-: I watched "Harvest" on the HistChan yesterday and some kid operating a $500K combine ignites the dry wheat (about an acre's worth) and then hops out of the combine (now hovering over the dry wheat) with a little, bitty fire extinguisher looking to use it to put out huge crop fire. The owner's screaming "Don't cut the fire!!!" worrying that the kid will drive the fuel-laden combine into the burning wheat. We old cusses take for granted how much stuff we've learned just by getting old.
-- Bobby G.
On 3/27/2012 6:12 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Many years ago, one of my Yankee Italian aunts was driving along with her son when a car suddenly came at them head on. My aunt started screaming, took her hands off the steering wheel and covered her face. My cousin grabbed the steering wheel and steered the car to safety. It became a family legend to be told every holiday. ^_^
TDD

< I drove over a extension ladder recently. boy was I surprised....>
I'll bet. If I count all the things that have tried to kill friends and family on the highways we would be described most of WalMart and anything that can be tied to the roof of car with cakebox string.
<<saw a sprite truck open up and dump many many cubes of sprite all over the road. geez did those bottles spray big time.>>
We had an armored car overturn here carrying mostly bags of coins. As soon as people saw the truck turned over and the stuff all scattered, they all stopped to help pick it up. And then drove off with it!
Raise your hand if you've ever driven behind a chicken truck on a hot two lane highway in the summer.
-- Bobby G.

whole load of telephone poles. We would have been stuck for many hours it I hadn't had my CB on and the wit to call a local base and find out that if I took the exit I was near I could get on real easy just beyond the spill.

trying to interpret anything it "heard" as instructions.

you.
directions to 000 Thunder Road somewhere in Florida.
The law of unintended consequences in full bloom. I can think of a dozen songs that would be an issue.
Baker Street, E Street Shuffle, Sesame Street, Dancing in the Street, 42nd Street, Give My Regards to Broadway, Electric Avenue, Tobacco Road, Exile on Main Street, Positively 4th Street, Street Fighting Man, Abbey Road, On The Road Again, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, etc.
Eventually we'll get into our cars and tell them where we want to go and then sit back and surf the net. Eventually.
-- Bobby G.