No maintenance Soffit and other trim work?

I am looking to reduce the high (as in extension ladder) maintenance on my home. Yes I know there is no such thing as no maintenance :-).
I would like your opinions as to the best way to accomplish this.
Vinyl or other "wraps"? I understand they can trap moisture and cause problems.
Vinyl continuous vented soffits would seem to be a possible step. How about other wood parts?
Currently my home is about 12 years old and is due for another trim paint job. The original chose of wood was not what I might call the best for the job and does not seem to be holding up all that will. I can see that if not this time the next time it is going to be need replacement of most of the wood trim.
Thanks for your comments.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I had exposed rafters on my roof overhang. Night time condensation (dew) raised hob with the paint and required frequent maintenance, scraping and painting. Very difficult area for painting -- a totally unpleasant chore. I had the soffits and fascia board clad in prepainted aluminum about ten years ago. Still looks like new. Best investment I ever made.
SJF