No mail box!

Page 2 of 3
I replaced a BUNCH of boxes and poles and finally solved it once and for all. kids would take them out all the way down the street....
My NEW pole was a heavy steel I beam set 6 feet in the ground. The next person who hits that post is going to destroy their car, its not going anywhere.easy to know who did it.
I painted it brite white, added lots of reflectors.
That was about 10 years ago, so far no one has hit it. amazing how something substantial fixes carelesness.

My neighbor did that same thing about 10 years ago. He covered his I-beam with wood cut from a tree so it looks like a fencepost.
It is fun to see the pieces of sheetmetal, pieces of glass, anti-freeze, oil, and bumper parts that get left on the ground about once a month. It has been hit at least 20 times and it is still standing straight as the day it went up.
Once a car hit it so hard it pushed the radiator back into the fan and they drunk kids couldn't start it, so they got out and ran. My neighbor had a lot of fun with the car with a sledgehammer and then called the sheriff to report an abandoned junk vehicle left in front of his house!

I bought about six mailboxes for my rural house. The neighborhood hoods would play "mailbox baseball" about every three months. Drive by with a baseball bat, hanging out the window, and hit the mailboxes that were along rural roads.
I set a piece of schedule 40 pipe into concrete. I covered the pipe with 1 bys. I lined a new bright shiny sheetmetal mailbox with 3/8" plate and mounted it to the top of the post. I put it a little droopy in the front where it looked rickety, and yet the rainwater would drain out.
Wasn't long until it took a hit. The door was askew, and that was easily fixed. I continued to replace the box or the flag or door with ones from garage sale mailboxes when it took too good a hit. But I only had to do that about every year.
I guess it was a rite of passage, and with every new crop of driver's licenses came the experience of meeting the mailbox that wouldn't move. Once I found half a bat laying on the ground.
That had to hurt. I would chuckle each time I saw a new ding on the box, and knew that some rowdy punk had gotten his/hers/its lesson.
Steve
"Steve B" <> wrote in message > I bought about six mailboxes for my rural house. The neighborhood hoods > would play "mailbox baseball" about every three months. Drive by with a > baseball bat, hanging out the window, and hit the mailboxes that were along

A few years ago on New Years Eve, about 10 p.m. at night, I was walking my dog out to the road. Saw car lights slowly moving down the road. Soon I could hear WHACKS every time the lights began to turn in a bit. Finally realized it was kids like you were talking about. The dog and I hid behind a tree as they came for my mailbox. It took a whack but then I shouted their license plate at the top of my lungs. Those stupid kids practically ditched the truck trying to take off. I called the cops and the next day, they took a report from everyone on the street who had damage. Turns out they were kids up from Illinois using daddy's work truck but being juveniles, cops couldn't identify them to us. However, we all could turn in receipts for a new mailbox. I found the most expensive one available, copied and turned in that receipt and returned the mailbox for a refund. Still have the old, beaten one up. That was sweet! Sue Minocqua, WI Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE '04 TW200 (mud = fun) Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937
"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss
Oscar_Lives wrote:

Somehing like this?
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/mailbox2.jpg
That one got put up by the owner of the house next foor to the one we lived in a while ago.
But, I've heard more than once that some juristictions have laws against installing mailbox posts which aren't easy breakaways. And violating them could make a person liable for injuries to vehicle occupants. Go figger....
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    I think the issue is that you can't put an obstruction that could cause injury on a right of way. Most rural mailboxes are on placed just off the roadway but still on the right of way on city, county or state property. If the carrier would deliver to a box 26 feet from the centerline of the road, I'd have put up the I-Beam.
    Bob
Where would one buy an I-Beam?
How deep into the ground would the I-Beam need to be driven in order for it to be near indestructable?
MC

Yellow pages under Structural Steel or Steel Supply. Some scrapyards may have it cheaper.

Don't know for sure, but 3 to 4 feet would take a hell of a hit.

Go to a scrap dealer. My guess is that it would be about thirty cents a pound, what it goes for here. You don't pound it into the ground. You dig a nice round hole about three feet deep, then put it in concrete. Be sure that you have it nice and plumb using a level.
If you can find it, salvage railroad rail works great, too, and isn't too expensive. Cars definitely won't hurt it much. If it is ever bent, a welder can straighten it with a come-along and a torch with a rosebud tip.
Steve
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:08:35 -0500, "miamicuse"
Yeah, they just throw it on the grass.
Seriously, what do you want them to do?

I hate women who talk too much.

That's the kind of neighbor to have, and good for you too.

I think so, but the police think they have better things to do. It may or may not be reckless driving, depending on what all she was doing, but I think it is certainly "failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle". (I think these names vary from state to state. To be reckless, I would think you have to be swerving on purpose to see how close you can come to the mailbox, or do make decorations in the snow, or trying to see if you can drive without hands, or putting on her makeup, or reading a book. Maybe if somone is trying to change the station on the radio -- something that is part of normal driving -- and loses control, that is the lesser thing, or maybe that would be nothing at all. I don't know.
I would think the law requires her to leave a note with her actual identity.
Maybe you can call the desk sergeant or someone higher and get them to issue t he ticket(s?), or at least an explanation why they don't.

She should get ticket(s?), not warnings. Warnings are good for burned-out tail lights, or not having a red flag on the end of a load that is, but she consciously left the scene, and you were home no less. She should have knocked on your door.

They'll hold it at the post office. You can pick it up there. Maybe you coudl forward it to your next door neighbor. Even if they have no procedure for that, I forget,, talking to the regular mailman can be very productive if you're nice about it.
This might be a postal crime too. The PO claims it owns the mailboxes we buy. Not just the rural boxes with rounded tops and big front doors, but even the rectangular ones that go next to the front door. They claim no one can put anything else in them except the mailman the mail.
They probably claim to own my mail slot, but they don't know who puts what in that.
Oren is right... Since she doesn't want to pay, find out her insurance company and put in a claim. Both the owner of the car and the driver are responsible, unless the car was stolen. If it was stolen, they should have filed a stolen car report. Or sue her in small claims.

Since she doesn't want to pay, find out her insurance

You're an optimist if you really think she'll have insurance.

Generally the police will not ticket for something they didn't witness, unless it is pretty darn undeniable.
Obviously you can sue, but it hardly seems worth the trouble. Be thankful you have a good neighbor and let it go at that.
I sold the home a year ago, drive by there often the box and pole are fine.
Over the 10 years of I beam construction:) The box got hit once and demolished. lucky person must of just missed the pole. took box off the top.
they slid 15 feet and did serious damage to a fir tree, but didnt leave there id info. nrearly killed the tree
did leave lots of car parts,,,
If anyone uses a steel beam DONT concrete it in place! Because its unnecessary, and besides if someone hits it it will be too heavy and awkard to dig up and plumb.
Incidently because of some utility construction I had to pull the pole once, with concrete it would of been impoossible...
You have to get really !@@##$ at people destroying your box pole, and its stronger the deeper its in. dont recommend it, but its effective
a 2 foot deep pole would likely coe out of the ground if hit, while one buried 6 feet isnt going anywhere.
I agree about she should get ticketed.
No, the PO will NOT drop off your mail, unless you are really good friends with the mail person. They will keep your mail at the PO and you will have to pick it up. I suggest you call the PO very early in the morning and tell them. Otherwise your mail will be in the delivery truck all day and you wont get it till the next day.
You can always take a 5 gal pail, put a 4x4 in it, fill pail with sand or cement and make a temporary mailbox holder. I had to do this once because the ground was frozen and left it this way all winter. At least if someone hits it, it just falls over...
----------
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:08:35 -0500, "miamicuse"

box?
MUCH SILLINESS SNIPPED
A. Regarding the mail, go down to your local post office tomorrow AM firs thing and ask the local station manager;
B. Regarding the woman, immediately after the post office, call ypour homeowners / renters insurance company, and give them all the data on the sweetheart who hit the box.
C. Get the nane of the woman along with her license plate number. Report it to Florida's DMV as a hit and run property damage incodent and request that Florida DMV confirm her name, residence address and insurance carrier.
D. Once you confirmed her name and address, go to small claims court in your county and sue her.\\
E. Ignore the fool cop who told you here was nothing you could do to get a recovery for your loss. There's a lot the cop could do but declined to do, but he's a doughnut chomping asshole. Like most cops.
F. STOP WHINING!
-- Jim McLaughlin
Reply address is deliberately munged. If you really need to reply directly, try: jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom
And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom address.
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote in message

Sure, make a $20 claim and get your rates jacked or two $20 claims and get cancelled.
You apparently have a reading comprehension problem.
I write precisely, and use words for what they actually denote.
You reading alternative meaning into what I write is really stooopid on your part.
Nowhere did I say to the OP "...make a claim..."
I did say turn the data over to the OP's insurance company.
And thats all.
Please be sure your brain is engaged before putting your keyboard in motion.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
On Sun 22 Jan 2006 10:18:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jim McLaughlin?

Touchy!
--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote in message

You don't have to "make a claim", just report damage to have a check mark as a potential problem policy holder. Homeowners are dropped for many seemingly silly reasons. What is to be gained by reporting it? Insurance companies do not have police power.
IMO, reporting trivial damage is stooopid on anyone's part.
What is t be gained by reportin it. ?????
About $ 700.00 including installation osts, per the OP.
Because the OP's insurer can get the DMV records out of Tallahasie faster than the OP can, and get the miscreant's name and address and the name of her insurance carrier.
And it doesn't contitute a "claim". It does demonstrate to the OP's insurer trhat the OP doesn't let little things "slide" and doesn't make silly claims to the OP's inurer.