No mail box!

Page 1 of 3
Will the post office deliver mail to my door if I no longer have a mail box?
Someone this afternoon slam his car into my mail box, uprooted the metal post, the concrete anchor and completely destroyed the mail box. She backed her car up and drove off without saying a word. I came out of my driveway and saw him drove off and so I went after him in one direction, my neighbor drove off at the same time and looked for him in another direction. I came up empty but he found her and tailed her until she parked at an apartment a few blocks north. When he asked her about why she drove off after hitting someone's property, she said nothing and just walked off. He took down her car model and license number.
I called and spoke to the police they sent someone by to take the information and said basically there is nothing I can do to recover the lost. I was not worried about the lost, I was pissed at the lack of courtesy to at least stop and apologize, she plowed into my front yeard and took out my mail box at a high speed. Shouldn't she at least be ticketed for rackless driving or leaving the scene of a "situation"??? The officer basically shrugged and said I will get a report in a few days, I don't get the idea he will at least go over to this lady's place to issue a warning...
Now, it's too late to erect a new mail box. I won't have it for a few days, what will the PO do when there is not a mail box to deliver to? return the mail? hold the mail or drop at door step?
MC
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:08:35 -0500, "miamicuse"

Yer gittin kinda ballsy following people in Miami. Speak to the Postal person, they do "vacation" holds for mail, just let them know the situation. See if you can at least report the police report to the bitches insurance company.
It really depends on your local driver and how nice they are. If you can go to a local store and buy one, you can set it on top of about 4 or 5 cinder blocks. As for the woman, she may have been drunk. You need to find out if she is the owner of the vehicle, so wait for the police report. If you don't get one, then call the chief of police. She may have a relationship with one of the cops. Get some estimates for the work and send her a certified letter with a copy of the estimate. In the letter, clearly state that if you don't get the money within 10 days, you will take her to small claims court.

box?
backed
neighbor
came
her
and
warning...
days,
the
miamicuse wrote:

    Usually no mailbox, no mail. But you can pick up your mail at the post office until you get a new box up. I know the feeling. Someone ran into my car in the parking lot in front of the apartment where I lived. As he drove off, I got his number and reported it to the police. The police wondered why I was bothering them. He looked at me and asked, "Was anyone hurt?" I said, "No." He said, "Then you should be reporting it to your insurance company, not to us." Apparently it is legal to run into someone else's car or property and then leave, at least in Massachusetts.
    Bob
RobertM wrote: The police

I'm afraid so Bob, It is not a criminal offence to leave the scene of an accident where there have been no injuries, pretty much everywhere.
If it was an accident then there is no deliberate destruction of property and not something the police can get involved in. The owner of the car is obliged to pay for the damage, but the police are not debt collectors.
On 22 Jan 2006 14:01:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I thought when I was (/tried) growing up a mail box was the property of the US Postal Service, thus a federal offense to destroy or interrupt the flow of mail service. Cops are actually busy in spite of thoughts of the contrary.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Broad daylight. Streets dry. No (provable) alcohol involved. The driver evidently passed the state test for a driver's license. Car properly tagged and safety inspected. In other words, no discernable "cause" for the "accident."
The act, therefore, had to be intentional and there ARE laws in every jurisdiction for malicious destruction of property. Especially mailboxes.

How nice was the car? I'd hate to damage my car just to run over a mailbox.

Someone who would do that would probably have sense enough to be driving Mommy or Daddy's car.
Steve
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:09:17 -0800, "Steve B"

Yeah, I forgot that teenagers do this for fun
I was never that stupid or malicious.

box? (snip) . Someone ran into

Same thing happened to me here in SW Michigan, a year or so ago. Cops said that unless I saw who did it, they wouldn't even do an accident report. Called my my insurance company, since it had been my understanding a report number was required for hit'n'run claims. They said it was, but they were used to small-town PDs being assholes about it, and paid the claim anyway.
(This is the same PD, that when my apartment was broken into, robbed, and trashed, first asked me whose girlfriend I was screwing, but I digress...)
aem sends...
ameijers wrote:

Shit anyone working for the City, State, or Federal Government is only putting in their time to collect their pension or retirement. Most could careless about your problems. Would you really expect anything more from a Government worker?
RV
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

When you wake-up visit your local maximum security prison and see why you can sleep at night!
Oren wrote:

Give me a break! Like I said sitting around on their fat asses biding their time and waiting for retirement and collecting a healthy ridiculous pension. Like they really care if I'm sleeping well at night. This does not hold true for the men and women in the military, they truly are working hard unlike a bunch of fat lazy corrupt prison guards on the state and federal payroll.

Then you must not know anyone in the Military! I am a Vet and most spend 90% of their time sitting on their but. But then their is that 10% when they give their all......
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:15:18 GMT, Evodawg

That's not really fair. My friend runs a business, and her regular carrier does favors for her.
Maybe the company tips her at Xmas, but I'm sure it's not much, like 10 dollars. The carrier does it primarily to be nice.
I don't think I've wanted any favors from my mailman, but he does shut the gate every time he finds it shut. (which is most of the time lately. I don't like the spring the wooden gate came with, and last fall I tried to make a smaller one, but it isn't ready yet.)

Isn't that when you notify the city or county and tell them WHY you are going to REFUSE to pay your local taxes? I mean, isn;t that why we the citizens pay taxes to have law enforcement? Mailboxes are not that costly, but it's still damage to anothers property. I guess these big city cops are too arrogant to deal with small stuff like this...

No. You can get away with a temporary setup. If the box is not damaged, you can stick the broken pole in a trash can or ties it to something for a few days. Most of the delivery guys are reasonable , but don't expect them to walk to the door.

Yes, it sounds like they just don't want to bother. Just the other day a car went into a neighbor's driveway by accident. Plic said they will talk tohte driver but nothing else, but if they went ontot he grass and left ruts or hter damage, they would ticket. Sounds like your guys don't have or won't take the time.

Usually hold it. If you are home, you can meet the driver and get it but otherwise he will not leave anything.

I'm confused. All he did was drive in to the wrong driveway? Did he harm anything?

I think after the first day or two, they don't even bring the mail with them.
You were the victim of a crime...you have no rights.
call the post office and ask them what needs to be done..of course they are a government entity also and you most likely wont get a straight answer from them.