No longer worth it to plug in Electric Cars or Plug-In Hybrids in Areas wit High Electricity Costs and Low Gasoline Costs

Page 4 of 4
Per Pete C.:

This is where I get lost.
I keep hearing pundits say that the inflation rate has been minimal for the past several years. But everywhere I spend money, the prices have gone up substantially. Taxes, municipal services, insurance, food, equipment.... UPS even published a breakdown of their 7% rate hike a few years ago and only about 2% of it was fuel.
I think the, effectively, somebody is cooking the books inflation-wise. Econ 101 tells me that you can't print trillions of dollars without debasing the currency. Yeah, if you immediately put it in a land fill it won't.... velocity of money and all that.... but this stuff is out there and prices *are* going up a lot.
Maybe it has to be done to save the economy.... but it would be nice if there were some acknowledgement that it's being done to a significant extent on the backs of people on fixed incomes and very low incomes and that those people are "Taking one for the team" instead of just calling them "Takers"....
--
Pete Cresswell

Far less than 5 grand. A dozen oil changes at $35 each. and a $20 air filter. No tune up or plug changes until 100,000 miles.
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:19:38 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Antifreeze, spark plugs and tune-ups, zero unless you're driving a car from the 80's. Modern cars don't need any of that done at 80K miles. Obviously you either don't know anything about cars either or are lying to further the tree hugger cause.
On 11/6/2014 6:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Actually, my Hyundai Sonata with 2.0 turbo is supposed to have the plugs changed at 48,000 miles. They also recommend oil changes at 4800 instead of the usual 7500 miles on the V6
Oh, at 40k I also changed the cabin filter at a cost of $9. At 100k I will have spent about $900. No anti-freeze, no tune up.
On Thursday, November 6, 2014 9:13:50 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's very unusual to need plugs changed at 48K miles in any car today. I'd bet that's more of a scheme to make money for the dealers than a real service reqt. I recently changed plugs at 140K miles on a BMW. They showed their age, but the car was still running perfectly, no codes, etc. And mileage stayed the same before and after. Typically, I'd change them at around 100K, assuming you intend to keep the car for another 50K+
On 11/7/2014 7:11 AM, trader_4 wrote:

This is the first car in a while that requires that. I guess the plugs on a turbo may deteriorate faster if driven hard. Since the engine warranty is 100K, I don't want to give them an "out" if something happens later. On other cars, I've gone 125,000 with no change in performance.
I'm also paying to have the plugs put in. Would never have thought to do that years ago, but I don't even see the plugs on this engine. Under the shroud someplace. As I get older, I find it easier to write checks than to shovel stuff and pull wrenches.
On 11/4/2014 3:17 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Keep the car for 40,000 miles then sell it. Second owner buys it and puts an additional 40k miles.
Owner 1 additional 0 cents per mile. Owner 2 additional 12 cents per mile.
I'll wait another 10 years for the fuel cell.
On 11/4/2014 10:58 AM, SMS wrote:

Today I paid $2.73 ($2.84 minus a 4% rebate)
Miles per Gallon: 45 Price per Gallon: $3.00 Cost Per Gasoline Mile: 6.07¢
Miles per KWH: 4 Price per KWH: $0.324 (no joke!) Cost Per Electric Mile: 8.10¢
About a 35% premium to use electricity.