no housewrap...

Nope, it's a game shyster (or other) lawyers play, and I find it unsatisfying.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hey, I don't have any problem with your discussion, and somehow someone think that I said Tyvek doesn't repel water, it does, and some use it primarily for that purpose. Sure, water gets behind the siding under extreme circumstances such as high winds and it flows out and evaporates for the most part. Being moisten or even wetted occassionally is not particularly harmful to the structure if the moisture moves out quickly. Of course, if it gets behind the housewrap, it will not move out quickly, and that is why it is extremely important that you not have tears (or at least unrepaired tears) in a house wrap. I'm not sure how a rain screen is going to help the mold problem if you already use a house wrap.

My intent was not to poopoo the buildling science people. What I was saying was that they or individuals can say a material is good for this or that and it should be used, but as you pointed out it is the marketing department (the manufacturer has to sign off on what they say and the manufacturer is ultimately responsible for the statements) that promotes the use. Hell I though Tyvek was just good for 5-1/4" disk sleeves. Even though new uses are found by others, the manufacturer has to be a little careful about what he says the product will do and the uses he promotes or he will likely to be involved in fraud cases. Manufacturers do occasionally become unduly influenced by marketing people to promote uses that the research departments can not support and when they do, they usually end up in court and broken. All you have to do is look at ads to see that marketing people are mostly about flash and care little about facts or ethics. Still, it is not the marketing people but the actual manufacturer that has to bend over in the end (pun is intended).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Under asphalt shingles, to wrap steel columns under a brick or other exterior veneer.

Reply to
Paul Fritz

That is also why I don't rely on all modern materials...I'd prefer lapped building paper to housewrap in most situations. I also detail using gravity to help manage moisture. It's part of the whole package. Overlapping flashings, pitched sills, etc. are all necessary. Caulk & Tyvek aren't part of the solution (in fact, caulk should never be part of the water management system - you can use it, but don't rely on it to keep the water out). It's also understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each material and appropriate application of those materials.

It's intelligent thinking about the issues and using common sense (if that's even available anymore).

Reply to
3D Peruna