no hot water sometimes

seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher) after a few hours i can take a hot shower but if no one uses any hot water for a while all i get is cold water...think its some easy fix or do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water heater thats about 4 years old

Could be the coal need stoking after a big use. Do you take the ash out regularly?
It would be much easier to diagnose if we knew if the heater was gas, electrric, oil, solar, coal, wood, or nuclear powered.

come on Edwin.. he said "40Gal gas water heater"

Damn, I read that three times and didn't see it.

I know.. It's hell getting old.....oh how well I know.. Chuck

As he indicated, 40 Gas gas water heater that is 4 years old
Hi,
1. do you also get central heating from your boiler or is it only for hot water?
2. is it a fan assisted flew?
3. is the water running fast out of the hot tap equivalent two around fourteen liters a minute?
4. When you turn the hot tap on does the boiler fire?
5. do you have a pilot light or an automatic ignition system?
6. do you have a immersion tank that is running off the mains electric, generally you will find that in your airing cupboard?
snipped-for-privacy@esbauman.com wrote:

On 10 Sep 2006 14:53:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mac.com wrote:

I"m still looking for my airing cupboard. :) Is it in the dining room?
Airing cupboards are generally found in bedrooms or hallway/ landing but very rarely found in the dining room. Modern combination boilers do not require an airing cupboard because they do not store hot water in a cylinder, but comes from direct mains.
mm wrote:

On 10 Sep 2006 13:31:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@esbauman.com wrote:

If you don't have to manually intervene to get it going again I am betting bad thermostat that eventually figures out the water is cold.
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:56:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Another possibility is the dip tube is broken off/corroded away if it is a top fed tank.
--
Mr.E

try turning up the thermostat some, may fix it.
water temp after heavy use is always higher

How do you get the hot water going, after the water has turned cold?
-zero