no hot water in the shower

My parents had a shower stall installed in their bathroom and had the tub removed. And when you turn on the shower no matter which way you move the handle the water is always cold. The shower faucet has a single handle. Now my question is how can they get hot water in addition to cold.

Did they have hot water before? Who did hte plumbing? Could be a defective or improperly installed faucet. I can't see it from here so I don't know what was done, but I'd get the installer back.
Double-check the shutoff valves. Look for access panels in the wall behind the shower and work your way to the basement. You can narrow your search by determining if the sink by the shower has hot water.
I agree with Edwin, the installer is going to be the person that can best fix this problem. It may be simple like the installer forgot to open the hot water valve leading to the shower. Or it might be a symptom of a bigger problem like maybe the water heater? Do you have hot water in other areas of the house?
Mike
The cartridge in your tap is in backwards.

Safe to say that the cartridge needs attention. In a single handle pressure balanced faucet, the water should not run at all if pressure to either the hot or cold is lost so I think the regulator is stuck from debris.
Remove the handle and then the cartridge. Turn on the hot and cold water supply briefly to flush the new popes into the shower stall. Rinse and inspect the cartridge and replace. If that does not do it, call the manufacturer of the faucet and get a new cartridge under warranty.

How long ago was it installed? Was it done by a professional who offers some sort of guarantee on his work?