No hot water...HELP!!!!!

Last night our hot water was REALLY HOT! Then, this morning we had no hot water at all. We have lived in our house for 6 months and the house is only 1 1/2 yrs old..we are the second owners. The hot water heater is a "State". PLEASE HELP!!!!!
electric or gas? if electric power on?
anyone mess with thermostat, like small child?
tell us more please
If your WH got too hot, it sounds like the upper level thermostat failed which may have caused in the case of an electrical unit element failure or tripped breaker, or in case of a gas unit, dammage to the burner. In either case it may still be covered under warranty, check for documents or a label on the heater about the warrantee.
Babe wrote:

Babe,
This is definitely an element failure, same symptons I always have on mine just before the element went out.
I change them myself.
1. Cut off the water inlet supply and power to the water heater. 2. Drain the tank using a water hose and the fitting on the bottom. 3. Remove the element by turning CCW. They make a special socket for this to make it easier. 4. Good time to clean out the crud in the bottom using a wet vac if you can. 5. Replace elements with new ones and put teflon tape on the threads. 6. I always replace the thermostats at the same time as the elements. Just watch where the wires go so you can transfer to the new one. 7. Cut water back on to fill tank and then turn power on.
Should be good for at least 3-4 years.
Joey