No Heat (won't ignite gas) Rheem Criterion II

I've searched the groups for heating issues with the Criterion II and only found people having issues AFTER the heat came on. I'm having an issue with the unit before the heat comes on. The pre-purge runs for 30 seconds, I hear a single click sound, then several seconds later the fan turns on with the gas. Not being an hvac person, it seemed like the click was reminiscent of a bbq with an electric ignitor but it didn't make sense with the gas coming on several seconds later... After what I could gather on here, I still have a few questions. My first question is: What is the name of the long, round single wire that is bent 90 degrees and comes up in front of the gas? And, what is the name of the part that also sits in front of the gas and is shaped like an M made from square shaped metal? I'm guessing that the M shaped sensor is the flame sensor and that the single wire is the ignitor, correct? How would a properly running ignitor function? Is it supposed to click a spark like a bbq or is it supposed to get red hot? Any help I could get on this would be greatly appreciated.
Pardon the inexperience, we all have to start somewhere and I don't have a manual! Tony
[...]
TonyG wrote:

The M shaped thingy is called a hot surface ignitor (HSI)--it glows white hot for 30 seconds before the gas valve opens, and for a few seconds after. The L shaped thingy is the flame rod (or flame sensor), which in turn detects the presence of a burner flame via the rectification of AC current to DC current, which rectified current is in turn sensed by the control board or module.
hvacrmedic
Thanks for the heads up! I turned the heat on and kept an eye on the HSI. It did not heat up. I then retested the heater with a voltmeter in place of the HSI and the system was sending electricity to the HSI so I'm guessing that's the issue :) I removed the HSI and it appears that one of the legs of it is cracked, actually looks scorched as well. Thanks again for the help, I truly appreciate it.
Tony
Thanks for the heads up! I turned the heat on and kept an eye on the HSI. It did not heat up. I then retested the heater with a voltmeter in place of the HSI and the system was sending electricity to the HSI so I guess I found the issue :) Thanks again for the help, I truly appreciate it.
Tony
Thanks for the heads up! I turned the heat on and kept an eye on the HSI. It did not heat up. I then retested the heater with a voltmeter in place of the HSI and the system was sending electricity to the HSI so I guess I found the issue :) After removing the HSI I noticed that it has a crack in one of the legs (looks scorched as well) Thanks again for the help, I truly appreciate it.
Tony
Thanks for the heads up! I turned the heat on and kept an eye on the HSI. It did not heat up. I then retested the heater with a voltmeter in place of the HSI and the system was sending electricity to the HSI so I guess I found the issue :) After removing the HSI I noticed that it has a crack in one of the legs (looks scorched as well) Thanks again for the help, I truly appreciate it.
Tony
TonyG wrote:

Now I'll look into my crystal ball and make a wild guess that your furnace is somewhere between 10 and 12 years old? At least that's the norm for HSI failure. Typically the furnace will be due for replacement before the replacement HSI goes out.
hvacrmedic
I'm sure the furnace is at least that old. Unfortunately, I rent the place so there aren't any upgrades in my future. In fact, I fix most everything around the house with my own cash so they won't raise the rent on me! lol
Tony
I really have no idea how old it is, but I would side with you. We rent the place so there aren't any plans to put a new one in soon if you know what I mean...
TonyG wrote:

If you're renting, then you especially shouldn't be messing with it. It's nice that you found the problem, but let the landlord hire a tech to repair it-- he might turn up some other problems, perhaps serious, that you can't see.
hvacrmedic
www.grainger.com look in online catalog for parts
also photos and repair info i found on this website: http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/gasvalve.html