no heat..thermostat?

I have oil heat, there's plenty of oil, hot water too. I have 2 thermostats..one in the basement and one for the rest of the house, the heat in the basement seems fine, it won't come on in the rest of the house. Could the thermostat be the problem? I'll be downstairs if you need me...

Reply to
sue

It would be wise to call a local pro to look at it for you. 2 thermostats sounds like a zoning system. it may be a problem with the zoning system. but I can't see it so I am only guessing.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

Possible. When the batteries in my thermostate get weak, the time and temperature still display, but it will not switch on the circulator.

Next is the circulator. Possible the pump motor is getting bound up. I've had that problem too, after sitting for hte summer. I was able to spin it by hand and then it was good for the season. After three years it just stopped and had to be replaced.

If neither of those work, call a pro instead of guessing and buying parts you don't need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If it is hot water check the valves. Are they ones you can see turn when the thermostat turns on? Does the basement one move and the other not? You will have to measure voltage to them to be certain it is the valve.

Reply to
Rich256

Check the easy stuff first....is there maybe a loose wire on the connection to the circulator? We just had the same symptoms and our HVAC guy found that was the problem. (No charge,it was under warranty),

Reply to
hvsteve

Thanks, if it's the circulator one area would work and not the other? It all worked yesterday! Guess I'll call the repairman tomorrow...but it'll be an awfully cold night here tonight !

Reply to
sue

There could be a circulator for each zone, or there could be one circulator and zone valves for each zone. If you do have zone valves and one is faulty, they usually have a bypass lever on them that you can lock the valve open, so both zones would function together temporarily

Reply to
RBM