no growth over septic tank - why not?

Noticed my septic tank in Pacific Northwest will not grow grass over it. I dug out all the overlying dirt to investigate, but other than some chunky rocks (not the cause of the bare area, but certainly not helping either) and moist dirt directly atop the tank, I am at a loss.
Is it possible that the exhaust from the tank is noxious to the grass? Seems odd to me b/c I thought plants thrived when exposed to such an environment.
Thoughts on the cause and suggestions on what to do to get the grass growing for once? Any special dirt treatment? tia bob
B&H wrote:

How deep is the lid? The soil may be too shallow to hold moisture. Or the backfill may be sand or clay and gravel with no topsoil.
Best regards, Bob (no relation)

A properly functioning septic tank does NOT have any gaseous local exhaust at all, so the grass should neither grow more or less there for that reason. How about sunlight? Got a big tree over that tank? If that's it, use grass seed that grows in shade.

Other than shallow soil, I would suspect herbicide as the most likely cause. Evidently someone didn't want grass to grow there.

and
growing
Do you have any idea how many people have been killed or maimed when grass grew over septic tanks and caused them to explode?
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:20:03 -0700, Doug Kanter wrote

None?

grass
See? It's the silent killer. You've never heard of it. Grass seed manufacturers have kept a lid on this for many years. They don't want you to know!
In the dry season the septic field/tank area is the only place I can get grass to grow.

Probably due to heat from the tank drying out the soil more than the surrounding area.

chunky
and
growing
Interesting theory. Could be tested by sticking a meat thermometer into the ground in various places, a few hours after the sun has set.
on my tank the dirt is not thick-deep enough to get ground moisture, when it drys thats it till next rain, by then grass is dead. you need alot more than 6" of dirt
m Ransley wrote:

...and cut down on the Jalapeno peppers and Sauerkraut. HTH.
Sounds like a place for a ground cover that'll put up with very little moisture. Don't know the web sites, but there are organizations that recommend plants for places like Los Angeles, which is (to the surprise of many residents) a desert.

I just use big rocks plus the tank is not in use any more