No Flue Liner With New Furnace

I am currently having a new furnace and a/c unit installed. When I asked if they had the flue liner installed, which was part of the quoted job, they said they could not get it in because the chiminey made a sharp turn. He said that it would be ok because the ceramic liner that is in place is fine. Any thoughts my situation?

Reply to
joeblow

I am no expert on this subject, but if memory serves, the issue is velocity of the flue gases. Your current chimney likely has a much large cross section than the new flue pipe would have had, and so the hot gases will cool too early in their upward transit, condensing out more water in the chimney. Maybe even increase the risk of the gases settling back down into your basement.

Our own chimney required a flexible flue liner to be pulled into place, allowing it to navigate a significant bend.

emichael brandt

. joeblow wrote:

Reply to
e michael brandt

It'll be okay.

It would help to know what type of furnace you installed. If it's gas there will be some heat going up the chiminey but not enough to cause a problem. Ask your gas company why the liner is recommended and what precausions you need to be aware of.

If there was no liner in your chiminey that would have been a concern.

Pj

Reply to
Pj

What kind of furnace? You can't ask a question without giving any information.

I put in a high efficiency furnace a couple years ago. Two quotes included liners and two did not. The two that included them said my water heater exhaust would corrod the flue; the two that did not said it was perfectly safe. I called the gas company and asked them. They said that since the chimney went up through my house it was okay; if it had been on the side of the house I would have needed a liner. This might not anything to do with you!

1) Give us more information. 2) Check with your utility to see what is necessary in your area 3) Find out why the hell the company quoted you on a liner but didn't install it. If a sharp turn gave them problems, they should have quoted accordingly. Did they charge you less than the quoted price? Sounds foul to me.
Reply to
Toller

I wonder why you arent buying a 90+ furnace. all those exhaust out a PVC pipe.

a ceramic lined flue MAY be ok. the trouble is 80% furnaces exhaust a cooler temp to the flue which can cause moisture troublkes in the chimney.

hpows the overall condition of your chimney? if its detoriating or needs pointing it might be cheaper to spend more on the furnace.... saves money forever.

how many new furnace quotes have you got? did all contractors think the existing chimney was ok unlined?

what brand type of furnace are you considering? gas oil LP forced air, boiler etc etc?

Reply to
hallerb

What extra did they quote that they were not going to notify you of your reduction in cost. But as others said your story is incomplete.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had a 80% gas trane forced air furnace installed. I do not plan on keeping this property for long. I got four quotes all included a flue liner.

Reply to
joeblow

A 90+ furnace would of been a sales advantage......... Esically with energy costs today.

Reply to
hallerb