No dial tone on phone

Occasionally (o.k. often enough to be a real nuisance) I will get no dial tone on any of my three house phones after I disconnect from the internet. Waiting for a while will -sometimes- clear the problem. I discovered that by calling my house number from my cell phone and letting it ring once or twice clears the problem immediatly.
Is this a problem on my side of the service or is it the phone companies problem??
Harry K
It sounds to me like the modem on your computer might not be disconnecting properly. When this happens, try unplugging the computers telephone cable and see if it clears it

Harry K wrote:

Let's assume you DO NOT have call waiting. If you are able to get ringing when you call your home phone (as opposed to receiving a busy signal) from your cell phone then the problem is with the telco. If the modem was keeping the line active then you'd get a busy signal.
It's probably in your modem settings. If you have call waiting, for instance, many areas use *70 to disable, and the modem is supposed to reset at disconnect. If the settings are correct, but the disconnect doesn't always happen correctly, you might try a different modem (or driver for the one you have) to see if the problem goes away. Bill

Previously in alt.home.repair, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) proclaimed :

that's almost undoubtedly a problem with the modem.
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs. -Unknown __________________________________________________________________________ Remove "die spammers" to email
(Harry K)

That was my first suspicion. After I posted the problem I thought about it. I had tried in the past turning the computer off but don't think I ever tried to re-boot and see what happens. That will be my next try (as well as checking modem settings)
Harry K

I had a similar problem once that was caused by a modem. Next time you have no dialtone, try unplugging the modem phone cable and see if that restores the dialtone.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On 28 Nov 2004 05:53:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote:

I suspect the problem is in your home. Disconnect all phones, fax machines, and other phone items. If the problem goes away, add a phone/device back, one at a time, until the problem returns.