Night Light (nightlight) always is burning out every few weeks. Ideas?, pcumming

I have purchased a few nightlights (over the last 6 months) that come

2 to a pack. They either use a 7 watt or a 4 watt bulb. Most of what I have purchased are 7 watt units.

These come on when it gets dark in a room of course.

I have noticed after a few days of purchasing a new unit ( or a few weeks ) that the unit stops working. The bulb is still good (I try in antoher base). This occurs in more than one outlet in the house even on a different circuit.

Now perhaps I am getting a surge but I would think I would notice this in other ways in the house. Normal (2 year old) house with smoke, carbon monoxide detectors, other lights, etc.. No other lights, appliances are giving me any problems. No other bulbs are burning out in regular lamps.

Perhaps these units just do not last long or at least the ones I have tried from Home Depot or Eckerds. Usually Home Depot.

Silly I know, but perhaps someone has an idea on why the base burns out and something else to try as an alternative. Not real fond of the green flat night lights (need a little more light in some areas-for when a elder relative comes to visit).

Thanks Joe

Reply to
Joe Donaldson

This might be the problem. I have found the light sensors are not up to the task.

Reply to
thunder

I suggest you try using the white LED nightlights. These use such a trivial amount current that they don't bother with a photosensor to turn them off. I've had a couple in use for about a year. They were sold under GE's label at HD and cost me under $8.00 apiece. They were available with a few different themes on the patterned clear plastic light "spreader".

IIRC they came with an lifetime warrantee, which is plenty for me. Heck, at my age I don't even buy green banannas anymore...

Try 'em you'll probably like them. And never have to change a bulb again.

Here's a link to a page which shows three styles for only $4.95 each. Look about 2/3 of the way down the page.

Good luck,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Thanks. I noticed (I think) that the ones that kept goingout looked similar. This time I bought some GE's and we shall see what happens. If it goes out again I will try something else or get the electrician (free) to check for any surges.

I plugged a polarity, open ground and other fault detection device in a few sockets and all is well as expected.

Thanks again. Joe

Reply to
Joe Donaldson