Nice neighbors, fence question

Page 2 of 2

Drummer of The Vibe wrote:

I vote for you telling them you are planning to install a vinyl fence and hope that is OK with them as it will help keep their dogs from running off and will be that much less fence they may need to build to assure safety of their pool. That gives them notice of your intent and the opportunity to volunteer to share the cost, or voice their objections to the idea, the style, the height, the location, or whatever. Then, take it from there. It sounds like you have not discussed it with them. In our past first home, we told a neighbor who had no fences that we planned to put up a chain link to keep the kids in and dogs out, and the lady nearly had heart failure. She recovered when we said it would be a great place for her to grow climbing roses.
I always hated getting snagged by those roses when cutting the grass.

The above is the best response so far.
So how much do you really save by getting him to contribute his share? A few hundred bucks. I can tell you its not worth it and any future disputes will cost you a lot more than that in time, legal papers and bad feelings. Just clear it with him to build the fence. Then you own it wholly to do what you like with it once and for all. Your neighbour will think you gave him a few hundred bucks and think you are such a nice guy.

I agree with this poster 100%. I know if my neighbor wanted me to pay for half of a vinyl fence I would tell him to piss up a rope. The last thing you want to do is get a neighbor mad at you if you can help it. Piss them off and they will report every little thing you do for eternity!
Steve B.
I have the same sort of neighbors - good people, but best kept at a distance. I've chosen a go-slow approach to putting a fence between us. I first mentioned the idea a full year ago, and have repeated it a couple more times lately. This has given them time to warm up to the idea, and I've found that helps. As far as the cost goes, I'll pay for the whole thing myself. I don't like to get into discussions of money with people I'm only acquainted with because they just happen to live next door to me.
Rob
-------------------------------
Bobby wrote ...

I totally agree. We have recently purchased a home and the fence on on side is literally falling down. The neighbors were very nice about it and made it clear that it faced them and it was our fence and we were expected to pay for it. We will do that as soon as possible, it just irks me that their dog bit my daughter through their broken gate and they have a bad attitude about a fence. If I were them, I would worry about the dog. In every home we have owned, we found that it kept us on best terms with the nieghbors if we just paid for the fence and forgot their share. Only one guy insisted on paying and he was a Muslim.The Christians on the other side refused to help or pay. Go figure. K

I needed to replace an existing fence on one side of my city lot, so I just let my neighbor on that side know of my intentions about three months before we actually did it, and we used the same holes that the original posts had been in, so he didn't have to worry about the fence line moving.

If you live in a neighborhood without existing fences, then it probally is not expected that one has to exist, and be paid for in joint.
Being on good terms with the neighbors is priceless. Tell them you have concerns about your kids and the pool, and ask them how high a fence they would be willing to accept. You might avert a fight by erecting, say, a 3 foot fence and not "blocking their view", your kids probally would not be able to vault it until they are older, and it is going to solve the dog problem, since, even if the dogs feel like vaulting it, the neighbors aren't.
When I built my fence, I went above and beyond what my neighbors would have done.
I designed and built my own wood fence which looks the same on both sides. It has pressure treated posts/runners, cedar panels, and lattice work along the top. The panels and lattice work are centered inside the runners and held in with square molding. I did the same with the gates, except one side has custom welded steel for the molding to support the gates so they will not sag.
Since I wanted a "fancy" fence, I thought I should pay for the entire thing. Also I didn't want my neighbors telling me what type/style of fence to build. And I wanted to "own" the fence and have the option of doing with it what I wanted in the future.
As it turned out, all of my neighbors really liked my fence when it was done. One neighbor liked it so much, she had me build a matching fence for her property. Another offered to pay half (after it was done) and I said not to worry about it.
So as it turned out, I improved relations with my neighbors with my new fence. Since I plan to live here awhile, this is very important to me. Note that I did get plenty of cakes, cookies, and pies (to maintain my strength) from my neighbors while working on this project.
"Drummer of The Vibe" wrote in message

If my neighbor told me this I'd be steamed. The fence is a good idea for him, but VINYL ?!?! A nice wooden fence is another story. I don't know what the neighborhood is like but in my Boston suburban neighborhood a Vinyl fence would be considered an eyesore.
I recommend the movie "Blue Vinyl" about the environmental impact of Vinyl, cradle to grave.
regards Martin
On 3 Apr 2004 14:52:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Drummer of The Vibe) wrote:

Diving from a 6 ft. high fence into an above-ground pool?! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
On 2 Apr 2004 09:16:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Drummer of The Vibe) wrote:

Yet...you can't wait to see their faces when they realize they don't own as much land as they thought they did! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
On 3 Apr 2004 14:52:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Drummer of The Vibe) wrote:

You might want to mention this in advance of the project. Just a casual "BTW, I checked my survey and when I install the fence, it's going to be on the other side of those bushes."