Nice little online fuel cost comparison calculator

( disclaimer - not mine, I just happened to find it )

Reply to
.p.jm.

Ackshooly, a super-find! Very neat! Looks like the oil/electric cartels got us by the balls, nice and tight.. Natural gas and coal were inneresting surprises.

Funny how fuknEdenPure ripoff heaters pop up right at the top -- google ads....

Looks like I'll have to move you from my alt.hvac ADUA list (absolutely and determinedly useless asshole), to my regular asshole list.... at least temporarily. I'm pretty sure you will make it back to the ADUA list, soon enough.

Reply to
Existential Angst

This is sort of a useless chart. What you really want to know is something like: How does the cost of 1000 BTUs compare for coal vs wood pellets? The cost per ton and an efficiency number is meaningless.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

The calcs can be approached from a large number of different angles. This particular free tool shows one way. If you don't like it, I'm sure they'll refund your money.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I agree! How about something like this:

100,000 BTU =

0.888 Gal. E85 gasoline;

0.77 Gal. heating oil; 1.76 Gal. Methanol; 29.33 KWh electricity; ~100 cubic feet natural gas; etc. (for wood, coal, ...)

David

Reply to
David

I made an error in the table above. The first number should be for E15 (15% methanol, 85% gasoline.) David

Reply to
David

Which tells us NOTHING about costs,and allows for NO 'what if' cases of efficiency.

If you want the mere watt / BTU equivalents, that's easily looked up online.

Reply to
.p.jm.

BTW, - did you plan on heating a home with E85, or Methanol ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

Did you click the calculate button???

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Banks have done this for years. At least here in Oregon. I remember programming that feature into savings account programs back in the

1970's. They used to let inactive accounts lay dormant for years and years. Then the State got wise and demanded the balance be sent to them. The bank said to hell with the state, we will take it. If the account owner ever wanted his money back, the bank would refund it, of course, but most owners never were found.

I have to wonder how anyone would have a positive balance on their CC. Suppose it's possible due to overpayment and such.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

It's worth what I paid for it.

Reply to
Charlie

Did you click the calculate button???

Mark

Nope, I didn't scroll down the page that far. Thanks for the pointer

Reply to
Charlie

A lot of credit cards will not accept an overpayment, but if you pay the bill in full, then return something you will have a positive balance.

Reply to
Tony

-snip-

You suck.

The TVA is the first thing that pops into my mind when I hear the nay-sayers say the "Gov't can't get nothin' right." The Eisenhower interstate system is #2.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Not totally useless but it does require a bit of further work to get the bare info out of it. They DO give a comparison based on a common (need I say it - basically the same with different heat) house showing what the costs would be - which IS more "usefull" than a simple cost per BTU.

If you want to directly compare the raw cost per BTU, simply make the efficiency the same on each fuel. It is, after all - a "comparison" chart.

Reply to
clare

Ha ha!

It is sad though that there aren't multitudes of examples.

Reply to
Tony

Nope, just getting toasty :-)

Reply to